ソFluid in 232 loader?

/ ソFluid in 232 loader? #1  

mjdtexan

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH 1140 (first tractor ever)
I have the 240 Massey Ferguson with the 232 loader and I cant figure out where the fluid is added.

Also, I have never dealt with hydraulics before, I just had the pump off and dealt with the pump shaft adaptar bushings (pump driven by shaft off of crankshat pulley). Is there a special procedure for filling up the hydraulics?

Any help would be appreciated very much.

Mike D

/ ソFluid in 232 loader? #2  
I have the 240 Massey Ferguson with the 232 loader and I cant figure out where the fluid is added.

Also, I have never dealt with hydraulics before, I just had the pump off and dealt with the pump shaft adaptar bushings (pump driven by shaft off of crankshat pulley). Is there a special procedure for filling up the hydraulics?

Any help would be appreciated very much.

Mike D

Just forward of the control lever on the vertical strut is the vent cap, take it off. On the inboard side of the strut close to the top is a bolt in the middle of the strut, remove the bolt, fill the oil till it comes out the bolt hole. Start the tractor and keep filling the strut while working the hydraulics until you have full range motion on all of the cylinders and oil comes out the bolt hole.

/ ソFluid in 232 loader? #3  
Added as an afterthought...

On the 232, make sure you keep an eye out for cylinder sag.
The sag is the hydraulics seeping.

If your in forward motion and the bucket sags down to full dump and you hit the ground with the bucket you will hyper-extend the cylinders causing one or more to fail. If this happens you are looking at about $1,000 repair bill.

The rams are the cheap part, its the removal of the pump shaft from the front of the tractor engine. They have to remove the entire front axle assembly to pull the shaft.

Also, do not let the pump have any cavitation, this will cause a wobble in the shaft going to the crank causing the bolt holes to elongate.

-- This bit of advice comes from just writing the check for $985 to have mine fixed from having the bucket hit a tree stump while in full dump when mowing my pasture.

/ ソFluid in 232 loader?
Added as an afterthought...

On the 232, make sure you keep an eye out for cylinder sag.
The sag is the hydraulics seeping.

If your in forward motion and the bucket sags down to full dump and you hit the ground with the bucket you will hyper-extend the cylinders causing one or more to fail. If this happens you are looking at about $1,000 repair bill.

The rams are the cheap part, its the removal of the pump shaft from the front of the tractor engine. They have to remove the entire front axle assembly to pull the shaft.

Also, do not let the pump have any cavitation, this will cause a wobble in the shaft going to the crank causing the bolt holes to elongate.

-- This bit of advice comes from just writing the check for $985 to have mine fixed from having the bucket hit a tree stump while in full dump when mowing my pasture.
I was told the same thing about that pump shaft. I managed to do it without removing the front of the tractor. I did have to take out that steering linkage ( I dont know what it is called) and it was hard as heck to get to that bolts on the shaft/pulley but I did it.

/ ソFluid in 232 loader? #5  
I see this is an old post, but I have the same loader on a 240 with the valve under the seat which you change and put the lift in constant pumping to make the lift work. I would like to convert mine to the same style that has the pump mounted to the front on the crankshaft as yours. Where can these parts be had? I'm sure a bracket for a pump, the pump and hoses. I may have a pumpand the hoses would be easy, but the bracket not sure. Would like to see a picture of one. I forgot about the drive shaft, not sure what this looks like either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have A Big Time!

Wade