10% off gonna break me

/ 10% off gonna break me #41  
Yup!
You have it figured out ....exactly!
Some apparently are unwilling to make the effort to determine what is available to them.
I use Medicare, and the VA.

That statement is a bit of a stretch. When we are discharged, many of us aren't told what all we are/aren't eligible for and finding out can be difficult. I had no clue you could get health insurance from the VA after 6 months post-discharge if you don't have any service related disabilities until I just read this thread. Even so, I wouldn't know where to go or who to talk to even if I did want to. Unwilling and lack of information are two different things.

/ 10% off gonna break me #42  
Go to ur closest VA facility or check with your local American legion/VFW/DAV posts. They can all tell you. In some states towns are required to have a veterans service officer whose job is to help vets get the info they need.

/ 10% off gonna break me #43  
That statement is a bit of a stretch. When we are discharged, many of us aren't told what all we are/aren't eligible for and finding out can be difficult. I had no clue you could get health insurance from the VA after 6 months post-discharge if you don't have any service related disabilities until I just read this thread. Even so, I wouldn't know where to go or who to talk to even if I did want to. Unwilling and lack of information are two different things.

If you wait for someone to hunt you down to offer you VA medical benefits, it will likely be a very long wait.
If you are not motivated enough to inquire/investigate you will not get any information.

/ 10% off gonna break me #44  
If you wait for someone to hunt you down to offer you VA medical benefits, it will likely be a very long wait.
If you are not motivated enough to inquire/investigate you will not get any information.

You're being rude and abrasive for no reason. Read the post above yours; it was actually helpful. You're trying to make it sound like I'm sitting around wishing I had medical benefits from the VA. I don't need, nor do I desire their benefits. I simple didn't know it was available to those who didn't receive a disability rating because that's what I was told when leaving the service.

Maybe others would be more open to ask questions if there weren't dicks like you berating people for no reason other than to feel superior to us "unmotivated" people. I really shouldn't even be responding; I know a forum troll when I see one.

/ 10% off gonna break me #45  
I was under the impression that to receive care at the va. one had to serve in a theater of war, or have a service related condition.

/ 10% off gonna break me #46  
I was under the impression that to receive care at the va. one had to serve in a theater of war, or have a service related condition.

It would appear that depends on when you served. Veterans Eligibility - Health Benefits has the basic information on who is eligible and how to apply.

I am not a vet, but certainly would encourage those of you that are to apply. You served the country and are entitled to certain benefits as a result. Use them.

I know in Indiana each county has a veterans service office of some sort that you can call for help with issues with the VA. I would be that each state has such a thing. If not call your Congress Person. Helping veteran constituents is a big deal to them. Even if they are from the "other" political party call them.

/ 10% off gonna break me #47  
You're being rude and abrasive for no reason. Read the post above yours; it was actually helpful. You're trying to make it sound like I'm sitting around wishing I had medical benefits from the VA. I don't need, nor do I desire their benefits. I simple didn't know it was available to those who didn't receive a disability rating because that's what I was told when leaving the service.

Maybe others would be more open to ask questions if there weren't dicks like you berating people for no reason other than to feel superior to us "unmotivated" people. I really shouldn't even be responding; I know a forum troll when I see one.

Thanks for the kind words!
May you live happily forever after..... without the VA!

/ 10% off gonna break me #48  

You would be surprised as to what is considered a service connected condition. There are the obvious ones of PTSD and amputation. However there are others such as sleep apnea. A sleep apnea service connected condition is 50% connected. Not only do you get great health benefits you also get a check each month. A 50% SC is a large chunk of change....somewhere in the $8-900 per month range. 100% is around $3k.

You have to have an injury or illness either incurred OR aggravated during service.

I encourage any vet to go to the VA for health services. Get a c&p exam to evaluate for sc conditions and at minimum establish a primary care provider. All you need to do is go to your nearest va facility and ask at the information desk for "enrollment". They will direct you where to go. Or give the facility a call and ask the operator to transfer you to "enrollment".

/ 10% off gonna break me #49  
Reservists, national guards and non full time service may or may not be eligible for non service connected enrollment. It depends on when and even where you served. My brother was in the Navy Air Reserves during Vietnam, served more than the minimum total required active duty time, but is not eligible for VA care because he served all his time in training stations, even though he was doing the training ! You do not have to serve in a combat zone, overseas, or a theater of war, or have a service connected condition. You just can't count training stations as active duty time. I have been involved in veterans issues for many years. I served as American Legion, and DAV commanders. Even took some veterans services training and have never heard of anyone who has more than 6 months active duty and who didn't have service in a training station, ever refused non service connected care.

Check with the locations I mentioned above.