Backhoe 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron )

/ 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron ) #1  

Kevin M

Gold Member
Tractor
48" bobcat walk behind , 60" Dixie Chopper Classic , 755 John Deere 4x4 70 ldr belly mower etc etc , 7610 Ford 4x4 7412 ldr and 10 ft rhino hogg
I'm considering purchasing a 110 TLB , Thoughts and Opinions would be appreciated, (I know about the loader frame bolts breaking the bell housing ) Is there anything else I should be concerned about ?

/ 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron ) #2  
I always have wanted one, and from all I've read, nothing has changed my mind.. but you also know what I'd watch out for..

/ 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron ) #3  
I would recommend you try to find one with all hydraulic options and topntilt hitch. That is what makes them a versatile choice, being able to use a ssqa grapple without making modifications or hanging an auger on the hoe, having a thumb for the hoe. three rear circuits for a box blade or rear blade. After 12 years with mine I am so glad to have all the options. The Laurin cab has been a good choice for me too but isn't for everyone. I bought the 4520 cab after the 110 so that the implements could be shared and for the most part I could leave the backhoe on the 110 and still have a 3pt tractor ready to work. Keeping the overall weight of both machines low enough that they are easy to tow in the mountain terrain I work and live in made this a good choice for me. That said the 110 falls short on power for some of my 3pt work compared to the 4520 (60 hp.).

Kubota's are also great tlb's and the M59 and M62 with 60 hp. are almost perfect but still no factory cab.. If I had my choice I would like a full size tlb with removable hoe and cat 2 or 3 hitch with factory cab. So far neither Deere or Kubota have offered this.

If you are looking for a 110 used I would also look at the L45 and M59 models too all are good choices.

/ 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron ) #4  
I would recommend you try to find one with all hydraulic options and topntilt hitch. That is what makes them a versatile choice, being able to use a ssqa grapple without making modifications or hanging an auger on the hoe, having a thumb for the hoe. three rear circuits for a box blade or rear blade. After 12 years with mine I am so glad to have all the options. The Laurin cab has been a good choice for me too but isn't for everyone. I bought the 4520 cab after the 110 so that the implements could be shared and for the most part I could leave the backhoe on the 110 and still have a 3pt tractor ready to work. Keeping the overall weight of both machines low enough that they are easy to tow in the mountain terrain I work and live in made this a good choice for me. That said the 110 falls short on power for some of my 3pt work compared to the 4520 (60 hp.).

Kubota's are also great tlb's and the M59 and M62 with 60 hp. are almost perfect but still no factory cab.. If I had my choice I would like a full size tlb with removable hoe and cat 2 or 3 hitch with factory cab. So far neither Deere or Kubota have offered this.

If you are looking for a 110 used I would also look at the L45 and M59 models too all are good choices.

X2 here. I bought mine in 2007 and after nearly 1,600 hrs. no problems beyond a leaking 4WD transfer case seal. (Which I likely caused using very aggressive bar-chains on the front wheels.)

I've used mine clearing timber for hay production and pastures. Heavy, hard work! However, I keep a close eye out on all my equipment. From lug bolts to gaskets... I'd rather nip a problem in the bud than pay for a catastrophe!

No bell housing issues. (And to be honest... I can't hardly imagine WHAT it would take to crack that on a 110!!) Scary abuse and/or incompetence!

Great tractor! I wished Deere still built them. I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat!

/ 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron )
Thanks guys

/ 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron ) #7  
Thanks for starting another 110 thread. They are great machines. At our house we are always interested in hearing new stories about the JD 110s. We even have a plastic model of one around somewhere in the barn...

Back in 2007 my wife began to twist my arm to buy a brand new tractor. "You deserve a new one that will last our lifetime." is what she said. So without much argument from me we headed straight to the JD dealer. JD was really the only choice at our house and is what we expected. The only decision was to be whether we go for a 50 to 60 hp JD AG tractor with industrial tires, a canope, loader, and a 3 pt. hoe.... or do we go with the 110 tlb? And BTW, what accessories and features do they have? I was way out of date when it came to modern tractors, but we had no doubt it would be a JD. We'd always had John Deeres and we just naturally prefer green and yellow.

But that's not what happened. We ended up with a Kubota M59 and it has been a dandy.

Anyway, I sure like to hear about the 110s and love to read about them. And we still have - and use - our old 1958 JD 2 cylinder. That's the machine that started it all.
Enjoy,
rScotty

/ 110 John Deere TLB ( Yellow Iron ) #9  
I started shopping for a good used one a couple of years back. All I found were either beat or higher priced than I wanted to pay. I ended up with a beat NH575E but I am slowly bringing it back in shape as I use and repair it. Still wish I had a 110 though. I will eventually need a larger farm tractor and the 110 could double as one as far as I can tell. When I finish diggin all my stumps out I plan to sell my backhoe and 855 and upgrade to a 50ish HP cab tractor with a loader if I can swing it. Don't think I could live without a cab and AC.