12 volt conversion for 1956 JD C40

/ 12 volt conversion for 1956 JD C40 #1  

DonBow11

Tractor
1956 JOHN deere C40
I have a wired in a 37 amp Delco alternator that was taken from a 1976 Chevy Pickup onto the tractor with 3 ohm coil and a new 12 volt battery negative ground. I wired it to the directions from Yesterday Tractors web site and added a Voltage gage but the gage shows a very little charge if any when the tractor is running. I think the volt gage is reading the charge in the battery and it is not showing what the alternator is producing How can I wire this alternator to the voltage gage to cofirm it is putting out a charge?

/ 12 volt conversion for 1956 JD C40 #2  
read the voltage on the battery .... should be above 13.4 V if the alt / reg is working ...

the 76 SI unit should have an idiot light ( charge indicator ) somewhere ...... ( wire to pin labelled #1 on small connector )

/ 12 volt conversion for 1956 JD C40 #3  
wire the - of the voltmeter to chassis. wire the + of the meter to switched side of the key.. same one that goes to the coil.

on the alt, it has 1 stud and 2 spade lugs.

charge stud to battery hot.

#2 spade lug jump over to charge stud.

#1 excite spade lug run to a 168 or 194 lamp and to that same switch side of the key.

key on, engine off, voltmere shows nominal bat voltage.. likely 12.6v, and charge (idiot) lamp is on.

start up and get alt rpm over 400, charge lamp should go out and voltage on gauge should be between 14.4 and 14.7v

/ 12 volt conversion for 1956 JD C40
Thank you very much I will try it and let you know the results

/ 12 volt conversion for 1956 JD C40 #5  
post back if you hit a snag.