135 wheel and tire questions

/ 135 wheel and tire questions #1  

80sDweeb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135 Vineyard Diesel
I just bought a '72 MF 135, won't pick it up for a few weeks yet. I was looking a the pics I have, and it looked like the front wheels are a lot closer together than any other 135 pics I've seen anywhere. Is that just because they're adjusted in as far as they can go? That got me looking at the back wheels. I can't tell how wide the rear track is, but I noticed that the rear wheels aren't really like any others I've seen anywhere. The most common rims have a big "dome" to the center, but there are a few that are much flatter, and mine look like the flatter ones, but installed inside out, yet the pics make it look like the wheels are quite close to the fenders. Take a look:

Here's a picture I found online of the less common rim type:

rims_reversed.jpg

Now look at my 135's rims:

1972MF135_1.jpg

1972MF135_2.jpg

1972MF135_3.jpg

1972MF135_4.jpg

Notice how narrow the back end (and rear axle) looks on mine.

Could this be some sort of orchard option, or some other option or model variation? This 1972 has been used at a local orchard since 1978...

One reason I got looking at this was that my budget was stretched when I bought this machine for clearing brush. Folks online told me it's best if a brush cutter is wide enough to cover the wheel tracks, and some said I'd want a 6 foot mower to do that. I was hoping to use a 5 foot mower, only because the used ones are so plentiful that they cost about a quarter to a third the price of the 6 footers I've seen. I can't say for sure because I haven't got the machine yet (and don't remember how wide it really is), but the pics lead me to believe that it's narrower than the ones I'm seeing in pictures. Can anyone enlighten me about why that might be (or why that can't be, either way)?

Also, can anyone tell from the pics what size the rear tires are, approximately? I may be needing to replace one, and I wanted to check local prices.

Thanks,
Scott in Brighton NY

/ 135 wheel and tire questions #2  
You have 2 different rear rims on the rear and the front axle is fully closed.

/ 135 wheel and tire questions
You have 2 different rear rims on the rear and the front axle is fully closed.

I don't think the rims are different, I think they're just flipped with the bolt loops inside on one side, and outside on the other.

Scott in Brighton NY

/ 135 wheel and tire questions #4  
Also, can anyone tell from the pics what size the rear tires are, approximately? I may be needing to replace one, and I wanted to check local prices.

Thanks,
Scott in Brighton NY[/QUOTE]

13.6/28 were one of the standard factory sizes.

/ 135 wheel and tire questions #5  
Front axle is definitely at the narrowest setting. You can adjust for wider front wheel track. The sliding pieces may be stuck or rusted in place, which would mean that you'll have to work a bit to free them up.

Looks like the orchard rows were quite narrow (<10 ft wide) judging by the wheel track width and that spray bar. Might have been working his vineyard. My 1964 MF135 diesel was set up for work in the previous owner's olive orchard--trees on 20-ft centers and low branches. Which is why he modified the tractor to squat low by swapping from the usual 28" dia rims to 18.4-16 rear tires (16" dia rims) and by shortening the front axle spindles to keep the tractor level.

MF135 stump2.JPGMF135 stump1 (1).JPG

Good luck with your newly acquired vintage tractor

What I've since learned is that my 135 is a vineyard model. This has the 12.4-24 rear tires, 5.00-15 fronts. Also the adjustable straight front axle, which is narrower overall than the usual cast axle, and the rear axle "trumpets" are cut short, giving a narrower track. The 15 inch front rims explain the car tires on mine, no doubt an attempt to save some money. Probably work well enough until you're into someplace wet and muddy, then the ribbed tires would allow better directional control.

Scott in Brighton NY