1505 Diesel Running Hot(er)

/ 1505 Diesel Running Hot(er) #1  

Rip

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota F-2880 & F-3680
The 1505 engine in my F-3680 (3000 hrs) running hotter than it used to with new t-stat, cap, clean rad, coolant, oil & fuel filters, etc. Not really 'over heating' as such, but concerned. Runs well with good power but wondering about injector timing/spray pattern (have no experience with injectors)? Wondering if any had similar experience with this engine & problem?

Have another 1105 engine in similar machine (2000 hrs) and at idle it shows about 30 deg F cooler block and rad tank (per infrared temp gun) than the 1505 under same conditions. Dash temp gauge also about 30% vs 45% on the 1505 engine at warm idle.

Cheers, Rip

/ 1505 Diesel Running Hot(er) #2  
I had a grasshopper mower with a Kubota diesel started running hotter and hotter... Had a screen to keep grass out of the rad... It will also trap the grass in rad. Had to pull the rad and pressure wash it out. It was plugged solid

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / 1505 Diesel Running Hot(er) #3  
The 1505 engine in my F-3680 (3000 hrs) running hotter than it used to with new t-stat, cap, clean rad, coolant, oil & fuel filters, etc. Not really 'over heating' as such, but concerned. Runs well with good power but wondering about injector timing/spray pattern (have no experience with injectors)? Wondering if any had similar experience with this engine & problem?

Have another 1105 engine in similar machine (2000 hrs) and at idle it shows about 30 deg F cooler block and rad tank (per infrared temp gun) than the 1505 under same conditions. Dash temp gauge also about 30% vs 45% on the 1505 engine at warm idle.

Cheers, Rip
Carefully Power wash the radiator with hot water and maybe some soap for 20-30 minutes until nothing but clean water comes out. Pressurized air cleaning works only for so long. Then a “deep cleaning” has to be done with hot water.

/ 1505 Diesel Running Hot(er)
I do clean screen and radiator after EVERY mow with air and/water, but no hot water at my shed. Would be difficult to use pressure washer and could damage the soft aluminium fins, but may have to pull the whole thing and have a go at it.... inside & out.

/ 1505 Diesel Running Hot(er) #5  
I do clean screen and radiator after EVERY mow with air and/water, but no hot water at my shed. Would be difficult to use pressure washer and could damage the soft aluminium fins, but may have to pull the whole thing and have a go at it.... inside & out.
Yeah, if you clean it the way you described regularly it is probably not the external radiator cleanliness. And I doubt injectors have anything to do with it. I've had a couple Kubota small 3 cyl diesels that tended to run hot and eventually close to the red line when mowing in hot weather. One of them was found to have an internally clogged radiator which was the main problem. Simple flushing did not fix it. I replaced thermostat and radiator cap and all that to no avail. At least on the BX2200 I was working on, the radiator was not very expensive. Also depending on your nearby service shops you may be able to get your radiator cleaned out internally for reasonable costs.

The radiator for the BX2200 was $120USD on Amazon. Hard to get much done at a shop for $120. May be cheaper to replace than to have it worked on, esp if you can do that yourself.

/ 1505 Diesel Running Hot(er)
Thanks JWR.... my next step is to use a cooling system flush product to better clean the insides and see what it does. As I said, not actually overheating at this point, just noticeably running hotter than used to and my other nearly identical 1105 engine. Will check out new rad cost just in case need to go the 'final' step.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Everyone !!!

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR