1530 pto clutch adjustment.

/ 1530 pto clutch adjustment. #1  

cbailey1956

Bronze Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers B, Komatsu D31, Case 585
Hello, I have a 1530 and the pto shaft can be turned by hand while engaged (engine off). It has the manual engagement lever on the left side that works to engage and disengage. Disengaged the shaft turns freely as it should. Move the lever forward and the shaft engages and there is tension but the shaft can still be turned by hand. Pushing the clutch pedal all the way down has no effect on the effort required to turn the shaft. I do have the pto clutch lock out arm flipped out of the way so the clutch pedal should disengage the PTO shaft. I looked through the access hole and see the three levers with double lock nuts on the adjustment rods. What is the proper pto clutch adjustment procedure. Or is it trial and error? I see no place to take measurements with everything together.

Craig

/ 1530 pto clutch adjustment. #2  
I presume your tractor doesn't have the option of hyd ind pto with a control lever between gear shift levers? The only correct way to adjust the PP operating levers is with tractor split using the correct gauge.

/ 1530 pto clutch adjustment.
I "assumed" that since I had a lever on the side for manual engagement of a sliding collar over splines that I did not have an independent PTO with a hydraulic clutch pack. There is a lever between the shift levers that moves up and down also. I reviewed the JD parts catalog and thought this would be a hi-lo lever. New unit to me and was purchased at estate sale with no known history. No operators manual. So the clutch pp levers have a height setting with a factory gage. One thing I did notice that the throwout bearing contacts each of the three fingers seperately instead of all at once. I have not noticed any clutch issues while driving and appears to pull strong. Only the PTO issue seems wrong. If it does have a PTO clutch pack it must be accessable at the mid split flange. I have the lift cover off due to leak at the flange. I am able to view the PTO engagement collar and lever.

/ 1530 pto clutch adjustment. #4  
Lever(parts key #4) is to control hyd ind pto. Both type pto's have control lever by left heel when sitting in the seat. Hyd pto can be engaged/disengaged on the go without depressing foot clutch pedal.

Attachments

• R22685_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R22685_________UN01JAN94.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,765
   / 1530 pto clutch adjustment. #5  
You can turn the PTO shaft by hand on my 2030 too if the engine is off. But if the engine is running the PTO brake prevents the shaft from turning. I always leave the lever on the side for the PTO engaged. Pictures show the independent PTO lever yellow knob between shift levers red knobs. HI-LO lever is shown below the temp gauge (see the Turtle/Rabbit?) And pardon the dirt.

Attachments

• pipeline8092013 009.JPG
    pipeline8092013 009.JPG
    826.3 KB · Views: 2,129
  • pipeline8092013 010.JPG
    pipeline8092013 010.JPG
    791.8 KB · Views: 974
  • pipeline8092013 011.JPG
    pipeline8092013 011.JPG
    826.1 KB · Views: 1,271
Thank you all for the information. Now I better understand the system. Also I now know to fix the pto brake system. It turns while running and the pto is off. So I guess now its time for a quick split and look at the brake band. or hyd plumbing for issues. I had reinstalled the top cover and operated the PTO with the hyd control and noticed it would not stop turning when disengaged.

/ 1530 pto clutch adjustment. #7  
I had reinstalled the top cover and operated the PTO with the hyd control and noticed it would not stop turning when disengaged.

Carefully place a 2X4 against the turning pto shaft and see if it will stop turning. That will help determine if no clutch plates are warped. Coincidentally my last name is Bailey.

/ 1530 pto clutch adjustment. #8  
Thank you all for the information. Now I better understand the system. Also I now know to fix the pto brake system. It turns while running and the pto is off. So I guess now its time for a quick split and look at the brake band. or hyd plumbing for issues. I had reinstalled the top cover and operated the PTO with the hyd control and noticed it would not stop turning when disengaged.

That's a lot of work (splitting) if your only issue is the PTO brake.

Yes, its not easy but I have been a tractor mechanic for many years and a split is the only way to get it done right. Already split it this morning and found broken trans shift rod, a broken spring and remains of a small bearing in the bottom. The PTO brake band is bare metal. The PTO clutch plates and discs were in good shape with no warped or burned plates. So monday a trip to the dealer for price checks. Around here it is hay and cattle country. There are several old farmers missing arms from earlier PTO accidents. I try to remember that when I work on PTO issues and implements.
Thank all of you for the information.