1630 Ignition Switch, must leave in 'crank' position' to stay running

/ 1630 Ignition Switch, must leave in 'crank' position' to stay running #1  

robertiverson

Tractor
New Holland TC55da and Boomer 1630 and Cat 520D TLB
Hi,
My first post. Let me know if I'm in the wrong area or there is an existing thread.

I have a 1998 model 1630 and 2005 TC55DA backhoe.

For both, when you turn the key to on position, normally, the fuel gage 'lights up' and the tractor is ready to 'glow' and crank to life. Here's the problem.

It rained last month. A couple days later, I went to start the 1630 and I noticed when I turned the key to 'on' the fuel gage did not move although it had a full tank.

So, I 'glow' and then crank and it fires right up, but when I let the key return to the spring-loaded 'on' position the tractor died. Turns out I have to keep the key in the 'crank' position to keep it running.

Fast forward... a week later the switch was back to normal and I could start and leave running in the 'on' position as is the normal case.

Fast forward again... last Sunday I decide to do some evening tractoring and I start it up, runs fine in the 'on' position... then I hit the light switch...the tractor immediately dies. Now, I'm back to the tractor only running in the 'crank' position. Also, while it's running in the 'crank' position, if I turn the lights on, the fuel gage drops to empty (as if the key is turned off) and some of the dash lights dim.

I'm not electrically inclined at all. Does anyone know where I should start looking; ignition switch, light switch, moisture, corrosion, wiring, short, etc.?

Also, I'm looking for a new seat, new plastic knobs and a new rubber floor mat. Let me know a good source for these that won't break the bank.

The 1630 is kept outside, it rains little in California, but I do seem to get water in the fuel through rain splashing into the gas cap.

Also, my tilt steering wheel gas cylinder has failed again. I need a source for it too.

Thanks guys. Sorry if there are girls there too reading this.

/ 1630 Ignition Switch, must leave in 'crank' position' to stay running #2  
I would start by doing a thorough cleaning of the battery terminals (not likely the problem but easy to check) and then start looking for a loose connection elsewhere. Some positions of the ignition switch working normally and some not seems to indicate the battery terminals are okay, but you just never know. Dropping power when you turn on the lights is an indication that something is not capable of carrying the required current under normal loads. I really think your key switch being defective is the most likely cause. Your engine is dying because the fuel solenoid isn't getting enough power to stay energized, just the same as your dash lights getting dim.