1705 antifreeze question

/ 1705 antifreeze question #11  
Why not? It is meant to make the engine easy to start in very cold weather but a block heater will heat the coolant inside the block which by conduction heats everything it is in contact with. Coolant is prevented from freezing though that may not be the primary intent of the block heater. Coolant far enough away from the block (like out in the radiator) could still potentially freeze if not a high enough % antifreeze of course. I always liked the circulation type heaters that pulse warm coolant through the radiator and the block and the entire circuit. A reason to prefer circulation type over the block heaters.
Well not quite. The circulation heaters are limited what they circulate/heat by the thermostat and only in an extreme case would the thermostat open…

/ 1705 antifreeze question #12  
Well not quite. The circulation heaters are limited what they circulate/heat by the thermostat and only in an extreme case would the thermostat open…
Nope, doesn't work that way. The circulation type heaters get installed in the lower radiator hose and pulse heated liquid through the circuit. I hear you about the thermostat (and makes me wonder how the liquid can circulate initially while cold) but I know this: I installed one in a VW diesel wagon and it worked like a charm. The entire engine and radiator got warm. Obviously they work somehow otherwise circulation heaters could not and would not have been sold. Sears sold them back in the 1980's. They are sold today by others.

/ 1705 antifreeze question
Ok I drained some anti-freeze out of the 1705 prob about 1/2 gal or so added straight anti-freeze ran it for about 20 min got it nice and warm rechecked the freezing point and it now down to -25 Thanks everybody for all you help!!!

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR