1710 popping out of reverse

/ 1710 popping out of reverse #1  

mgoldman

Tractor
Ford 1710 4wd
I have a 1710 it pops out of reverse have replaced the detent springs did not fix it, any other ideas

/ 1710 popping out of reverse #2  
Hi Mgoldman,

I also have a 1710, and it has given a few occasions of the transmission locking up in two gears, I think in 1st and reverse. 2nd and 3rd seem to be OK. I have the model with three (and reverse) on the steering column, and 4 ranges on the floor. 1st and reverse are "shift lever up", 2nd and 3rd are "lever down". Going to take off the 4 range cover and see if only one of the two yokes is not moving far enough. I think the steering column linkage has gotten quite sloppy and may be the problem, not the transmission. Do you have the service manual? I have a pdf copy, it is 21 meg.

Eric O

/ 1710 popping out of reverse #3  
Hi Mgoldman,

Took off the cover for the bottom part of the shifter linkage, just before it goes in to the transmission. The U-joint was ok, but the last fitting with a pinned connection was a sloppy mess. Going to take off the transmission cover and shifter linkage to determine how to reduce the slop. Probably will be a shim to fill any space between the pin and coupling, then a larger diameter drive pin to hold it together.

/ 1710 popping out of reverse #4  
Hi Mgoldman,

Here is my 1710 transmission cover:
cover.jpg
The U-joint on the right hand side of the picture is the problem.

Here is the U-joint linkage:
linkage.jpg

Here is the transmission with the cover off:
View attachment 635768

The gears look good, and the shifter yokes are not sloppy at all. You can see inside the transmission the two red blocks are the 4 range selectors. The two grey blocks are the 1,2,3, Reverse selecctors. The two small white yellow blocks are magnets for the neutral start lockout sensors. The issue with my shifting is all in the linkage. Where the shaft comes up out of the transmission cover and is pinned in to the bottom of the U-joint was loose with quite a bit of play. I am going to bore out the U-joint, machine the shaft back to round, and use a bushing to get everything tight.

/ 1710 popping out of reverse #5  
Good stuff Eric.

Thanks for posting with pics.