1736 Running Hot

/ 1736 Running Hot #11  
Thanks. I will give the soapy water and hose a try. Biggest issue is getting back there as the fan is in the way and then the condenser radiator is right in front of the regular radiator so they really dont give you good access to clean things.
Next to impossible to get water straight into the condenser radiator back to front. maybe if i capped a hose and cut a slit in the side so water sprayed out the side.
I got these on Amazon - work very well to get down behind the radiator: https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Gen...5b-875a-b351b8da299a&pd_rd_i=B01NAU8J6D&psc=1

/ 1736 Running Hot
Thanks everyone. After using an air blowing wand from harbor freight and also using the soap and water combination I was able to get the tractor to running at the normal range I had seen previously. I also had to start and kill it a couple times to get the fan blade to move to another location to get better rear access. They have three coolers packed in there - ac , radiator and what I assume is a hydraulic cooler so it took some time and patience.

/ 1736 Running Hot #13  
Thanks everyone. After using an air blowing wand from harbor freight and also using the soap and water combination I was able to get the tractor to running at the normal range I had seen previously. I also had to start and kill it a couple times to get the fan blade to move to another location to get better rear access. They have three coolers packed in there - ac , radiator and what I assume is a hydraulic cooler so it took some time and patience.
How many hours on tractor since last radiator internal flush. Not only does the fins need to pass air. The fluid needs to be changed at some interval to prevent fluid from rising pH level that will eventually block off internal fluid passages. If it has over 300 hours with no service you may need to exchange antifreeze. Use what your manual specifies. If no improvement for temp gauge may need to have radiator dipped cleaning internal passages. Before that problem could lie in thermostat sticking and not opening. May need to replace it. Typically cleaning chaff from exterior of the radiator well is first step. If no improvement test antifreeze for pH level. Use ohmmeter DC voltage one probe in fluid one on battery ground. If reading of .4 volts show change fluid. If that does not work replace thermostat. If that does not work have radiator dipped to clean passages internally. If that does not work you have blockage in the water passages in the bock. You need to use flush - boil out material to clean the water passages.

Old timers use to dump the antifreeze use straight water to understand if thermostat is bad. The pull thermostat run tractor with straight water to determine if passages were blocked. This was summer time troubleshooting to understand what was bad in the cooling system. Also check radiator hoses collapsed hose will also allow overheating.

Please tell me you don’t have water boiling out of your overflow canister this is first symptom of head gasket issues. The assumption the head gasket is good you did not super heat the motor from chaff. Unfortunately these compact tractors don’t have large cooling system they are prone to overheating if not cleaning the radiator daily from chaff.

If using water make sure you don’t get cpu wet if this emissions based tractor. Never put cold water on hot motor that is asking for trouble big trouble.

Keep us posted on your findings as you troubleshoot the cooling system.

Oh yes last item to look at is the fan belt and water pump. Typical these compact tractors have sensitive water pump if it goes out it can take the motor with it quickly.

Nothing is simple owning a tractor doing your own maintenance. When they run well they are invaluable for getting work down and soothing for the soul while providing accomplishment of the task.

Keep us posted.