Oil & Fuel 1740m hydraulic filters (HST)

/ 1740m hydraulic filters (HST) #1  

robjr

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1740m Cab HST
Hi,
I recently purchased a 1740m HST cab model. In anticipation of performing fluid and filter changes I'm finding the manual and the on-line parts book somewhat confusing as to which filters I need.

If anyone has performed this maintenance I would really appreciate some help with the part numbers of the filters I will need.

I believe I need a # 7069738m91 for the hydraulics but there is mention of a second spin on filter for hydrostatic drive but I'm confused what that part number is. I realize there is a suction screen/filter but does anyone know if the hydrostatic version requires a second spin on?

Also, it appears the first hydraulic/transmission fluid & filter change isn't due until 250 hours. Can someone confirm as my last Massey, a 1532 HST, required this maintenance at 50 hrs as I recall.

Lastly, has anyone converted to synthetic engine oil?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I gathered a ton of great info while I owned the 1532 for 9 years, which was such a great little work horse of a tractor.

Rob

/ 1740m hydraulic filters (HST) #2  
I have a 1754 with 200 hours on it.
I (well, the dealer) changed ALL fluids at 50 hours, as one maintenance chart called for. I myself changed everything but the front axle at 100 hours. (Should have done the front axle too, but just didn’t)
I changed everything again at 200 hours and intend to change again at 400, 600, etc. then every two hundred hours from here on out.
Youre right about the manual calling for a second spin on transmission filter. If mine has this phantom filter, i haven't found it.
I do have the suction screen, which had some degree of dangerous looking material on it at 50 hours. Easy to remove and clean. (Later edit: I think I discovered this debris at 100 hours, leading me to believe that the dealer didn’t clean this screen at 50 hours)
I didnt do the fuel filters until 200 hours, but I was very careful with using spotless jugs to transfer diesel fuel. And those filters were not that easy to change. I removed the guard covering the filters, but that was a pain too, so Im going to try harder to skip that step. It took a large pair of channel lock pliers to unscrew the bottoms of each filter housing. Works good to first completely drain both filters into a CLEAN, white bottomed container so you can see any dirt. I didnt reuse any of this fuel the first time, but next time I will pour off the top 90% and put it back in the tank. I will get the appropriate size hose to drain the fuel filters with, (5/16 or 3/8 ID rubber) to help keep it clean and contain the mess. I had to crack each bleeder screw on top of each housing to allow the filters to drain. A one gallon windshield antifreeze jug comes to mind. It will take a hundred strokes or more to prime the fuel filters, so dont lose heart!

So, engine oil filter, transmission filter, and 2 fuel filters should do it.

I used Shell Rotella T4 10-30 engine oil, which meets the specs for the engine.
The dealer I bought it from was a family dealership and very frugal, so he used some fluid other than Permatron in the axle and transmission, which I didnt like. He has since discontinued his business and his competitor (in the same small town!) carried Permatron, so I have switched back. Its a semi-synthetic, and seems to work well.

Last edited:
   / 1740m hydraulic filters (HST)
Thanks so much for your detailed response Ipakiz. Its odd that the manual that came with it only calls for engine oil/filter change at 50 hours as I知 sure I followed the maintenance chart for my 1532 and did engine and trans at 50 hrs. I guess I値l call the dealer and ask service department.

Again, appreciate your comments.

/ 1740m hydraulic filters (HST) #4  
I’m getting ready to do my first hydraulic fluid change on my 1740M. I have the 6255330M2 filter as well as an o ring for the suction filter. Two questions I have for anyone who has performed this maintenance. The book mentions a second filter for tractors with a HST, I think that’s a misprint, can anyone confirm? Second question, I’ve seen mention of two suction screen filters online but the book shows one, can someone confirm that as well? Thanks! IMG_2010.JPG