1742 Front axle leak?

/ 1742 Front axle leak? #1  

Adam1742

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1742
Came home today to a discoloured patch of gravel underneath my front axle. Tractor has 130 hrs on it. There seems to be oil on the cap on top of the axle housing as well. Any ideas as to cause? Simple gasket failure? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1476997046.343705.jpgImageUploadedByTractorByNet1476997070.790082.jpg

/ 1742 Front axle leak? #2  
My 1529 didn't have a gasket on the front, where the 4 bolts are ... just a silicone or some other cement.

/ 1742 Front axle leak? #3  
I believe the caps are supposed to vent, to allow excess pressure developed from heat, to be relieved.

If the vent is plugged, (that you be the hole in the top), it could be causing the oil to be forced out.

The hole isn't going to be straight through, there should be a valve to keep water out.

Try cleaning it, with brake cleaner. Be careful, until you are sure it won't melt it.

Or, just get another cap. Under $10?

It's also possible, there is too much oil, and it has no where else to go, but out the vent.

/ 1742 Front axle leak?
Thanks for your input Ray. I haven't had any time to give it a cleaning but I will give it a try. It has done this once before when it sat in the driveway in the same spot (on a slight angle to the right side). Has to be sitting there for a few days before I notice anything. When it sits out back on level ground it doesn't leak a drop. Pulled the cap off the night I posted the problem and the oil level was nowhere near the top of the cap. But I will still give it a cleaning. Could be plugged from when I undercoated it last year and dust from this summer plugged it up...

/ 1742 Front axle leak? #5  
Probably just venting.... it occasionally occurs on mine when I've been running it all day.