180 Independaent PTO not disengaging

/ 180 Independaent PTO not disengaging #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
Been working on the ole' 180 I bought back in Jan. Got new brakes on her, and new axle seals.. Now on to replacing the hyd. sump filter etc.

While I have the rear cover off, and oil drained, would like to look into why the PTO will not stop running. If I remember correctly, the PTO is engaged with the aux. hyd. pump. This works fine..., as I have great aux. hyds.

Just looking for some ideas as to where to start looking.. Would it be the valve to engage, warped clutches/plates, brake..?? All of the above..??

The pto lever does have a nice snap to it, and seems I remember seeing something about that too...

Seems I did a search, and found some of the info a while back as to causes, but couldn't find it this morning...

Hoping farmswithjunk catches this, as he seems to know his stuff on these, I guess you could call "classic" models..

/ 180 Independaent PTO not disengaging #2  
I have the same prob with my MF180.

/ 180 Independaent PTO not disengaging #3  
Is the PTO just freewheeling or is there power behind it when it's off? Sounds like the brake is worn