1836 Miles per gallon of gas!!!!

/ 1836 Miles per gallon of gas!!!! #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
A high school a couple of miles from me won a competition for the highest MPG car in an international contest. They got 1836 miles per gallon! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Since the link will not open at this particular newspaper online without a password, (and I doubt they would see the humor in me posting that here) here is the article:

Mater Dei captures mileage competition
By BETH WHITE Courier & Press staff writer 464-7430 or whiteb@courierpress.com
June 14, 2005

Months of hard - and precision - work paid off for a team of Mater Dei students in the form of a first-place trophy in an international mileage competition last week.

The Super Mileage Team's fuel efficiency car managed 1,836 miles per gallon at the Super Mileage Challenge in Marshall, Mich., on Thursday and Friday, earning it first place out of 36 high schools and colleges.

Advertisement

"We had a very good day, and we ended up on top of both divisions," said Bob Neisen, parent volunteer and project supervisor.

The road to first place was bumpy, thanks to an accident and flat tire.

"They had to work for it," Neisen said. "It was very hot. They were exhausted by the end of the day."

Sixteen Mater Dei students began preparing their two cars for competition in September.

"There's a lot of work that goes into it because we work all year for it," said Dusty Stolz, who will be a senior in the fall.

The long hours lead to friendships and memories, Stolz said. "It's a lot of fun," he said. "It leads to some fun stories that you laugh about later."

Justin Stute, who will be a sophomore in the fall, went to Michigan with the team and said the experience is beneficial for him because he wants to work with cars as a living.

During the competition, sponsored by the Society of Automotive Engineers, the cars ran on a 1.6 mile track. Earlier this year, Mater Dei's car placed first in Indiana's Super Mileage Challenge.

Team Captain Kyle Neisen ran the fastest lap at the competition. "We expected to do well," he said. "We were really hoping for a high number, but didn't expect to beat all of the colleges or high schools."

The Super Mileage Team's car is constructed primarily of shrink wrap.

To judge the mileage, each team is given a full fuel bottle that has been weighed. Then, the driver runs six laps on the track and the bottle is weighed again.

Bob Neisen said teams traveled from as far as India, Canada and Puerto Rico to compete.

"I don't think we expected to do as well as we did," Stute said. "The competition was pretty tough because we're a high school facing colleges."

/ 1836 Miles per gallon of gas!!!! #2  
So shrink wrap is the key to a global “green happy” environment… /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do not know if I agree with there judging method but it was a good experiment and teamwork.

/ 1836 Miles per gallon of gas!!!! #3  
<font color="blue">"So shrink wrap is the key to a global “green happy” environment…" </font> The shrink wrap thing is not new..........The big "3" US automakers built cars in the late '70s & '80s made of that & a lot less........just ask anyone who had a tarp bungee holding up their back bumper...........