1946 Farmall A

/ 1946 Farmall A #1  

BridgeBoy

Tractor
none
Hi,

I have a chance to buy a 1946 A from a person for $1700. Seems to at least look good on my computer screen. I want something to skid a few logs and general clean up at my camp. Buying without seeing in person is risky for sure. Seems like the A is well liked, but for my camp use do you think it would be to small? Also what are costly issues with this model?

Thanks,

Bridge Boy

/ 1946 Farmall A #2  
The Farmall A is a one-row cultivating tractor. It's NOT what you want for skidding logs. Look for an 8n or 600 series Ford. Something with a 3 point hitch is very helpful for skidding logs, though be warned, skidding logs is a dangerous task and should not be undertaken lightly. A roll bar would be a good idea for that project, and a skidding winch. If the budget is tight and you are really careful and working on flattish land, something like a H or M Farmall would be a much better choice than the A, but you're still gonna be happier in the long run with a 3 point equipped machine.

/ 1946 Farmall A #3  
I tend to agree with motownbrowne, I wouldn't skid anything bigger than 6" at the butt and 20ft long one at a time with that tractor. So if you have little logs on level ground you can use a little tractor. The A may have a lift but it will not be a three point. As to costly items, It's a pretty basic 4 cylinder gas tractor. If it's worn out it will cost something to fix. Parts a plentiful and not too expensive.

/ 1946 Farmall A #4  
The Farmall A is a great little tractor, but not for skidding logs. The "A" is not stabil enough for that type of work.

/ 1946 Farmall A
Thanks Motownbrown, Oldtractorfixer andWolftree for the feedback. After your information, for sure the A is not what I would work for my needs.

Thanks,

Bridge Boy

/ 1946 Farmall A #6  
I use a 4000 ford for skidding timber on my farm. It has enough power and the 3pt can be used for other implements when not skidding. I belive as others have stated that the A would not fit your needs.
Kirk

100_1637.jpg

/ 1946 Farmall A #7  
As a cultivating tractor they are pretty neat though. But I agree, not much of a log skidder.

/ 1946 Farmall A #8  
i agree. I wouldn't even skid with my C. and if I did use a small ford. it would have to be with an arch or jack.. to keep the logs front up.. and not pulling from higher than the axle either..