1949 Ford 8N lift problem

/ 1949 Ford 8N lift problem #1  

wallywoodcutter

Tractor
1949 8N (2 of them) Both bought in 2019
The 3 point on my 8N will come up without a load, but will not lift with a load. I weigh 170# and it will not raise one bit if I stand on the lift arms. Would you please give me some possibilities of the problem. Thank you in advance!

/ 1949 Ford 8N lift problem #2  
8N's are pretty weak on the 3 point in the first place, and I would say it's NOT an uncommon problem that you have.

I forget the fix, (an internal valve ?) but as I remember, you have to split the tractor to fix it.

SR

/ 1949 Ford 8N lift problem #3  
8N's should lift approximately 700-800 lbs. First what is the condition of the oil, is it milky and full of water. A common problem with the old Fords that are left outside uncovered. Next take the round side cover off (the one without the and with the PTO lever), with the tractor running look inside to see if you see the oil swirling, KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THERE with it running. If you see it swirling then it is likely the relief valve is stuck open, an easy fix the can be done thought the side cover. If you do not see the oil swirling (there will be some movement of the oil, just not excessive) then look to see if you have a lot of oil coming down from the top cover, that will indicate the seal on the lift piston is leaking. Again not a hard to do job, an hour to hour and a half depending on how many adult beverages you take breaks for.