1950 TO-20 Won't Start...

/ 1950 TO-20 Won't Start... #11  
you need to address slow turn over first. mind you 6v turns over slower than 12.

once you hav ethe bat cables repalced, clean and regap points.

check spark.

/ 1950 TO-20 Won't Start... #12  
If your 6v starter is rotating slowly the brushes could be damaged due to overtaxing it or even the windings themselves. As mentioned it starter will heat up doubling the operating voltage. If i'm not mistaken those brushes can be replaced. You may need to take the starter apart and clean off the computator. Here is a good link explaining how it's done. Starters are similar to autos so the proceedure is basically the same. -kid

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum...17-starter-motor-life-not-just-christmas.html

Sent via Ipad2

/ 1950 TO-20 Won't Start...
This TO-20 has been converted to 12V....so over the weekend, I tinkered again with my limited mechanical ability. After trying new battery cables, still no go. I'm back to when the gear shift is moved to start, I get the one metal thud with no turnover. I did bring the battery in to be checked at Napa, and its good. My thought is perhaps I didn't put the new starter in correctly and its not engaging? Maybe I'm off base, I just hope I didn't do something more severe and I'm overlooking something simple. I guess I've reached the point where I have to find someone who knows what they are doing to come out and take a look. Thanks again for all of your inputs and if you have anything else to suggest, fire away. I wish I could afford a more modern tractor that I could maintain better, but they are beyond my budget unfortunately. I'd really love to have a New Holland 8N heritage...Boomer I think its called. I can dream!

/ 1950 TO-20 Won't Start... #14  
pull the starter.. check the armature with a straight edge. if it's bent ( or rusty, or oily/greasy ), it will drag and hang the bendix gears.

also. check for any shaft play, AGAIN.

lastly. check gear teeth on flysheel and engage ment gear. make sure they are not chewed. some chewing can prevent good clean engagement and cause slams that stop the gear from meshing..

can also do a test by tapping the starter with a hammer when trying to start. sometimes when brushes get worn.. this happens. if tapping helps. brushes are worn.

if you do take it apart, make sure the fields are not cut into. if so.. deffinately look at bushings / bearings.

/ 1950 TO-20 Won't Start... #15  
I have a 1958 Ferguson 30 tractor won't turn-over no noise no clicking nothing. I was running it doing clean up shutting it off at each stop. Maybe 5 or 6 times the last time kind-a made a clicking noise slite . And now won't do nothing! When I push the shifter up in-to place nothing no noise no click Please Help... Thank's

/ 1950 TO-20 Won't Start... #16  
If your battery is up to snuff, I'd check the cable connections first. Especially where it grounds to the chassis.

/ 1950 TO-20 Won't Start... #17  
See if she will roll over by the fan belt, or move belt and fan by pushing her, might be Bendix hung in flywheel