1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #1  

swamp duck

Tractor
ih cub ,super a
Hi folks, I have a 1955 Ferguson TO-35 with the hydraulic cover cracked nearly in half. I need some advice about what to replace it with. The casting number is 180969M1 I think, but the Internet apparently knows nothing about that number. I understand that later parts were strengthened to keep them from cracking.

Which covers (thicker ones) will fit this tractor? Will an early 135 part fit? Used or aftermarket from China?

Is there any harm in mixing cylinder sizes (2.5 or 3 inch) and pump piston diameters (.8 or .9 inch)? I have heard the relief valve needs to be the original pressure.

Will I need the stand pipe from the donor model tractor?

I want to rebuild the pump and get this thing working so I can plow with it this spring, so I'm trying to get unconfused and find the parts I need as soon as I can. I haven't opened the tractor up yet, so all I know now is the the cover is cracked and the lift shakes a bit while lifting and drops too fast with the engine off.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #2  
Hi folks, I have a 1955 Ferguson TO-35 with the hydraulic cover cracked nearly in half. I need some advice about what to replace it with. The casting number is 180969M1 I think, but the Internet apparently knows nothing about that number. I understand that later parts were strengthened to keep them from cracking.

Which covers (thicker ones) will fit this tractor? Will an early 135 part fit? Used or aftermarket from China?

Is there any harm in mixing cylinder sizes (2.5 or 3 inch) and pump piston diameters (.8 or .9 inch)? I have heard the relief valve needs to be the original pressure.

Will I need the stand pipe from the donor model tractor?

I want to rebuild the pump and get this thing working so I can plow with it this spring, so I'm trying to get unconfused and find the parts I need as soon as I can. I haven't opened the tractor up yet, so all I know now is the the cover is cracked and the lift shakes a bit while lifting and drops too fast with the engine off.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

You'll need to have a part number not a casting number. Look on the AGCO web site. then search the web for that part number. I would try to find an good used lift cover rather than a knock off from the land of almost right. If you want to get this machine going you don't want a lift housing that almost fits! I would think the small lift piston goes with the smaller pump to keep the lift speed the same. I'm a big fan to keeping things OEM because increasing the piston size at the same relief setting will increase the max lift force and you may find the weakest link in the lift system. Unless the existing tube is damaged, it should work.

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover
You'll need to have a part number not a casting number. Look on the AGCO web site. then search the web for that part number. I would try to find an good used lift cover rather than a knock off from the land of almost right. If you want to get this machine going you don't want a lift housing that almost fits! I would think the small lift piston goes with the smaller pump to keep the lift speed the same. I'm a big fan to keeping things OEM because increasing the piston size at the same relief setting will increase the max lift force and you may find the weakest link in the lift system. Unless the existing tube is damaged, it should work.

Thanks, I was leaning away from the across the water part. There is a tractor junk yard near here I want to go visit.

I opened up the tractor and noticed the little roller on the draft control shaft is missing. The pin was down in the bottom of the center housing - slightly flattened on one end. Thankfully all the gear teeth are still there :). Maybe the roller is back under the differential. I sure would like to find it, just so it won't be loose in there somewhere!

The pump is the old style without replaceable cylinder heads. Hopefully they aren't scratched too much to rebuild. Does anyone know how much tolerance is too much on the pistons in the pump? I guess I need to buy a service manual. The shaft bushings and cam blocks seem tight. I haven't looked at the valves yet.

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #4  
The 35 I inherited from my dad, who bought as a basket case in 1974. It also has a cracked lift cover that has been in operation since 1974. It leaks some fluid, but otherwise works fine. When it stops working I'll fix it.

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #5  
Old thread but I also have a 1955 TO35 and the lift cover just cracked. The only number I found on the crack cover looked to be the casting #. I looked in the AGCO parts book. They list four different part numbers: 184392M92, 182722M92, 182722M91, 182374M91. I want to replace it with the thicker later lift cover. Does anyone know with one will I need for a 1955 TO35? Thanks

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #6  
Found this on the Wengers site.

It lists a serial number break, but not sure which one is the thicker vs thinner cover.

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #7  
Found this on the Wengers site.

It lists a serial number break, but not sure which one is the thicker vs thinner cover.
I called about that one today. They said it doesn't match my casting #180969M1 but might work. Pretty sure its the thinner one. They had (sold) what i understand to be the heavier duty one 190861M1, but no-one I have talked to so far can confirm if that one would actually fit my older tractor. I'm waiting on a call back from a Massey Ferguson dealership to see if they found anything in the inventory (not likely but worth a try).

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #8  
You can also try Macfadden and Sons. They have a lot of salvage, might know about the casting numbers that would work for you.

/ 1955 TO-35 with cracked lift cover #9