1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First?

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First? #1  

Supercharged86

Tractor
Ford 335
Hi Everyone, My new to me 350 Utility only has reverse (up) and first (down), but before I start looking inside, does this sound like a minor or major problem? Anything to look out for/surprises when I remove the shift tower? Thanks in advance, Steve

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First? #2  
Do you have the manuals for it?.

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First? #3  
I'm not familiar with a 350U but if it has a shifter plate the gear stick goes through like some other IH's then it's possibly a shifter fork issue. If you can remove the gear shift plate that is your best bet on finding something out.

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First?
I do not have the manuals. I can remove the shift tower but wanted to gain a little insight before doing so. Thanks guys.

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First? #5  
If there are two sliding forks inside the transmission the gear stick goes in it could be a problem with one of them. I have 2 Farmall Cubs and have had issues with the ear breaking and it not tightening up on the shaft and jumping out of reverse, once I found the problem it was a simple fix. Be sure and put it in neutral before you pull it off. That should line everything up and make it easier to reinstall the plate.

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First? #6  
Here is a link to a complete parts book for your 350. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

And here is a link showing an exploded view of you shift mechanism, with part numbers, and description to the right. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

I would at least find an I&T manual to get started. They aren't the best at describing some procedures, but are better than nothing. The IH Blue Ribbon Manuals are top of the line, and can't be beat. Best bet to find them, would be on ebay. The bad thing is, they come in a sectional manual for each assembly. The complete manual may be 4 inches, or more thick, but doubt you'll need the whole thing, because the I&T has a lot of the tune-up info, etc., condensed. You can save a search on ebay, and when something comes up you can use, and is in your price range, nab it..!!

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First?
Here is a link to a complete parts book for your 350. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

And here is a link showing an exploded view of you shift mechanism, with part numbers, and description to the right. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

I would at least find an I&T manual to get started. They aren't the best at describing some procedures, but are better than nothing. The IH Blue Ribbon Manuals are top of the line, and can't be beat. Best bet to find them, would be on ebay. The bad thing is, they come in a sectional manual for each assembly. The complete manual may be 4 inches, or more thick, but doubt you'll need the whole thing, because the I&T has a lot of the tune-up info, etc., condensed. You can save a search on ebay, and when something comes up you can use, and is in your price range, nab it..!!

Thank you kind Sir, this is very helpful. Steve

/ 1956 IH 350 U only has Reverse and First? #8  
Welcome...