1958 Ford 861 Valve Adjustment Guidance Needed

/ 1958 Ford 861 Valve Adjustment Guidance Needed #1  

Lance7

Tractor
1958 Ford 861
Hello all
I have a 1958 Ford 861 gas model that was thrown in with the house I purchased.

This past week I needed to replace the worn water pump so figured I do some other maintenance while I had it opened up like fix droopy lights, light wiring, new hoses and thermostat and valve cover gasket since it looks to have leaked some oil around the exhaust side gasket. Since I had the valve cover off figured I would check the valve clearance this is where I need to make sure I did it right and would like to ask the expects on the forum if the process I found and used was correct for this tractor. Up to this point the only valves I have adjusted was on mowers and ATV's.

- I took the fly wheel inspection cover off and found 0 on the flywheel and then opened the distributer cap to make sure I was on cylinder #1 which I think is the one closest to the radiator and goes order 1243. I marked this location on the crank pulley on the front of the tractor and proceeded to adjust the intake and exhaust valve on cylinder #1 to .015. (cold)
- Than I turned the crank 180 degrees looked at distributer to make sure I was on #2 and did intake and exhaust on #2 to .015.
- Turned crank another 180 degrees looked at distributer to make sure I was on #4 and did intake and exhaust on #4. to .015.
- Turned crank another 180 degrees looked at distributer to make sure I was on #3 and did intake and exhaust on #3. to .015.

So before I put the gas tank and radiator back on to run a test thought id check.

Thanks

/ 1958 Ford 861 Valve Adjustment Guidance Needed #2  
I have a gallon can with a 1/4 nipple on that I use as a temporary gas can so I can run the tractor with no tank. After a short warm up, I set the valves with the engine running at a low RPM. It can be a little tricky adjusting the rockers when they are moving up and down, but it can be done. I do the final torque on the jam nuts with then engine off, then I start it back up to make sure that nothing changed.

/ 1958 Ford 861 Valve Adjustment Guidance Needed
Thanks for the reply Strum456, when I was searching for the procedures for checking valves on vintage ford tractors I did run across some saying they checked them with engine running to me that amazing you can do that. I'm more slow and methodical when it come to repairs and don't think I would be able to do this tricky process but I might see if I can rig something up to see it run with out the valve cover if not too messy.

Thanks Again.

/ 1958 Ford 861 Valve Adjustment Guidance Needed #4  
running is tricky.. but you can run it warm and check it and get darn close ( close enough IMHO ).

/ 1958 Ford 861 Valve Adjustment Guidance Needed
Thanks for the reply Soundguy, Ill give it a run and recheck warm. Is the process I followed for adjusting the valves look ok to you? if you have a better process please let me know.

Thanks
Lance

/ 1958 Ford 861 Valve Adjustment Guidance Needed #6  
if adjusting them cold, adjust them on the loose side.. otherwise when it heats up, it will be tight. tight valves burn...

a hair loose is better than ANY tight.