1962 John Deere 2010

/ 1962 John Deere 2010 #1  

Shane761

Tractor
John Deere 2010
I recently bought a 1962 John Deere 2010 with a diesel engine. It smoke intermittently like one of the cylinders is not burning clean. I have changed the fuel, put in new fuel filters and other than that it runs good. Any idea on how to fix this?

/ 1962 John Deere 2010 #2  
Could be a bad injector dumping too much diesel in one of the cylinders. Smell your oil and make sure it doesn't smell like diesel fuel, if it is that's a bad thing.

/ 1962 John Deere 2010
Thanks for the help I will do this.

/ 1962 John Deere 2010 #4  
If you have a bad injector and it's dumping too much fuel in the cylinder it's called "wash out". What happens is the fuel can't be burned (because of excess) and it "washes out" the oil lubricating the rings and will eventually wear the piston, rings, and possibly the block badly. That raw fuel winds up in the crankcase diluting the oil and making the whole engine have trouble from lack of lubrication.

You can narrow down which injector is bad by starting the engine and loosening the injector line at the injector, it will cause the engine to skip from lack of fuel. If it skips there's nothing wrong with that injector, tighten it and move onto the next one and so on.

I had an injector tip come off on a J.D. 2555 once and this is how my brother and I found it.

This is if you have a bad injector, it's a simple test and will tell you if it's an injector or not. If it's not then it could be valve related.