1971 Toro Proline will not start!!!!!

/ 1971 Toro Proline will not start!!!!! #1  

mogack1967

Hey every one I am new here but have been reading these threads and this site seems to be the most responsive and helpful.

Here is my problem: I just bought a 1971 Toro Proline 118. The machine has an 18 hp kohler magnum series engine.

It ran like a top when I looked at it and I mowed like 2 acres with it. after I mowed, I wanted to set the deck a little lower and see how it cut. Started the machine and away I go. Mowin like a champ. All of a sudden it dies, no smoke, or sputter, just died and will not start, has gas, changed spark plugs, replaced gas, and what not. The engine turns fine but actually seems to be turning easier than it did when i started.

Old machine and all saftey switches have been bypassed, Don't even really know if this is the original engine.

Any ideas what could be the cause????

Thanks for your help in advance.

/ 1971 Toro Proline will not start!!!!! #3  
Does it have spark is the first thing to check. Then does it have a fuel pump or squirt a bit of gas into the carb or starting fluid and turn it over. If you get some sort of pop or running for a few seconds that will eliminate some questions. If Safety switches are bypassed one of the wires or something may have broken.
No spark then ignition module or coil check time. There is an online Kohler manual database that you can check. You may want to check for oil leaking from anywhere or for cracks in the head. Hopefully that isn't why it is turning over easier.

/ 1971 Toro Proline will not start!!!!! #4  
If it's turning over easier, check the compression. It could have a burned valve, blown head gasket, or broken connecting rod. It's possible a compression release on the cam shaft could br broken, too and releasing the compression too much. Check the flywheel key, too to make sure it's not sheared off, although this is more a Briggs and Stratton first, then Tecumseh second for that time period.

/ 1971 Toro Proline will not start!!!!! #5  
I have a similar problem with mine. It stopped running and now the starter will spin but it won't engage. Is there a relay or somthing that goes bad on these things?