1973 Ford 4000 Charging Issue

/ 1973 Ford 4000 Charging Issue #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
Having issues with the charging system on 1973 Ford 4000. Charging light would come on and could check battery voltage and confirm was not charging. Carried tractor to a starter/alternator shop to repair. They wound up replacing the generator and regulator. Worked for maybe a day and charging light coming back on. Shop replaced under warranty. Lasted short while and charging light back on. Wound up taking tractor to a tractor shop that used to be an old Ford dealership. They are working on it now. Reported found bad regulator and replaced. Indicated charging light still on dimly. Goes away as RPM‘s increase. Concern is that this is the same thing that happened in the past. Trying to help research and troubleshoot to assist in diagnosing what is going on and causing components to fail. It was noticed that the replacement generator installed was much smaller than the original. In the past the light worked as it should meaning charging working as it should, even at low RPM’s.

Any ideas or suggestions for things to check are much appreciated.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 Charging Issue #2  
It sounds as though the first shop replaced the generator with one which was not the equivalent of the original. It is possible the original needed only brushes. I'd go to the first shop and see if they can provide the proper generator. It is possible when they replaced the generator the new one did not have the proper size pulley for the correct speed. It's also possible your fan belt is loose or slipping.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 Charging Issue #3  
Sounds like the regulator is still the issue.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 Charging Issue
Are there specifications on output or other measurable items for these? Hear a lot about converting to an alternator system, but hear that it causes the loss of some of gauge functions. Add to it that this set up has worked reliably for 50 years if can just replace it stands to reason would be good for another 50 years.....or am I missing something. I know there are bound to be some that have run into this issue with as many old Ford tractors as there are still around. Common sense observation initially was that the new generator was not as good as the old one due to being much smaller, but with advancements maybe it didn't have to be as large??

/ 1973 Ford 4000 Charging Issue #5  
Are there specifications on output or other measurable items for these? Hear a lot about converting to an alternator system, but hear that it causes the loss of some of gauge functions. Add to it that this set up has worked reliably for 50 years if can just replace it stands to reason would be good for another 50 years.....or am I missing something. I know there are bound to be some that have run into this issue with as many old Ford tractors as there are still around. Common sense observation initially was that the new generator was not as good as the old one due to being much smaller, but with advancements maybe it didn't have to be as large??
Am I missing something? Absolutely. There is NOTHING in the aftermarket world today that will last fifty years. Products of that quality will likely never be seen again.

That said, an alternator conversion (if done properly) will most likely serve you better and longer than current generator/regulator packages available today.

Granted, it takes a bit of effort, maybe some modifications, different length belts,etc to get it right. The Delco style units with tach drive mounted is what I usually go with. They don't fit in as neatly as the generator, but they do work.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 Charging Issue
Sounds like the regulator is still the issue.
Good call. Was able to locate a tractor dealer that used to be a Ford dealer. They checked everything and found the voltage regulator burned up and some wires connected wrong behind the dash including a voltage stabilizer. Everything seems to be working as it should for now. Appreciate the feedback.