1975-77 3 cyl. ford diesel tractor with C.A.V. fuel injector pump problems

/ 1975-77 3 cyl. ford diesel tractor with C.A.V. fuel injector pump problems #1  

gtflyboy

Tractor
ford/kubota
I have a 1975/77 3 cyl .ford diesel tractor with a C.A.V. diesel injection pump Mfg. No. 3233F641. It was running just fine for many years until a month ago. I drained the fuel tank /cleaned the filter container /replaced the filter/ I noticed when doing this quite bit of condensation and milky fuel in the fuel supply . I again tried to start it after bleeding the system of trapped air . No luck .It still refused to attempt to start ..Next I pulled the injection pump after marking the timing marks .so I would not disturb the timing . Upon first removing the top cover exposing the governor /throttle /fuel shut off linkage , it was evident it needed to be disassembled and cleaned. When I began the process, The first thing I noticed was The small cover plate on the side with the pressure relief valve which sends fuel back to the filter had come apart and a small spring 5/8 in. long and approx. 3/16 in width was found and a small which seems to be a washer ,But no check ball was ever found (perhaps washed away in the cleaning process? All the valves /pistons/ where cleaned in the primer pump as well as the high pressure pump and seem to be working properly ..What I want to know is are all these covers with these pressure relief valves which returns fuel to the filter assy. the same in all these C.A.V. rotary pumps? I also noticed there was no( dumb-bell valve) located in the cavity behind the primary transfer pump liner where this valve was shown according to( some) of the rebuild manuals and parts diagrams I downloaded from the internet. I also noticed the large circlip was not positioned in the center of the inspection hole according to the repair manuals I downloaded which has to do with the timing of the pump before its even attached to the tractor. I would appreciate any help from anyone who is familiar with this model pump C.A.V rotary fuel injection pump .( Mfg. no. 3233F641) for the above stated 3 cyl. ford tractor . Also If anyone has This side cover with fuel return valve which I could purchase.. Thank you and a Merry Christmas to you all. gtflyboy

/ 1975-77 3 cyl. ford diesel tractor with C.A.V. fuel injector pump problems #2  
The side covers are different pressures.. Yours is a Delphi P#> 7180-57A
The C clip is not used by Ford for timing. Its normally turned around in the housing, opposite the side cover opening.
IF it has a flat on 1 end of the clip, you could use it if you wanted to.. some have 1 flat for timing and 1 rounded end.
and some, ford, has 2 rounded ends..
If you want to use it.. apply air pressure to outlet W and turn the drive shaft CLOCKWISE, looking at the driveshaft, until it stops.. that's the start of injection, and just move the clip to line up a letter. punch and hammer.
Final timing is done on the * marks on the flange of the pump and block.. set at "0"*
Merry Christmas..

/ 1975-77 3 cyl. ford diesel tractor with C.A.V. fuel injector pump problems
I have a 1975/77 3 cyl .ford diesel tractor with a C.A.V. diesel injection pump Mfg. No. 3233F641. It was running just fine for many years until a month ago. I drained the fuel tank /cleaned the filter container /replaced the filter/ I noticed when doing this quite bit of condensation and milky fuel in the fuel supply . I again tried to start it after bleeding the system of trapped air . No luck .It still refused to attempt to start ..Next I pulled the injection pump after marking the timing marks .so I would not disturb the timing . Upon first removing the top cover exposing the governor /throttle /fuel shut off linkage , it was evident it needed to be disassembled and cleaned. When I began the process, The first thing I noticed was The small cover plate on the side with the pressure relief valve which sends fuel back to the filter had come apart and a small spring 5/8 in. long and approx. 3/16 in width was found and a small which seems to be a washer ,But no check ball was ever found (perhaps washed away in the cleaning process? All the valves /pistons/ where cleaned in the primer pump as well as the high pressure pump and seem to be working properly ..What I want to know is are all these covers with these pressure relief valves which returns fuel to the filter assy. the same in all these C.A.V. rotary pumps? I also noticed there was no( dumb-bell valve) located in the cavity behind the primary transfer pump liner where this valve was shown according to( some) of the rebuild manuals and parts diagrams I downloaded from the internet. I also noticed the large circlip was not positioned in the center of the inspection hole according to the repair manuals I downloaded which has to do with the timing of the pump before its even attached to the tractor. I would appreciate any help from anyone who is familiar with this model pump C.A.V rotary fuel injection pump .( Mfg. no. 3233F641) for the above stated 3 cyl. ford tractor . Also If anyone has This side cover with fuel return valve which I could purchase.. Thank you and a Merry Christmas to you all. gtflyboy

/ 1975-77 3 cyl. ford diesel tractor with C.A.V. fuel injector pump problems
Problem finally solved : I Purchased a rebuilt injection pump . Thank you all for helping me make the right decision .. Have a nice day