Buying Advice 1983 Massy 50D VS. Mahindra, Kubota compacts

/ 1983 Massy 50D VS. Mahindra, Kubota compacts #1  

oliverandlisa

Tractor
Kubota L4740
Hi All,
Just bought a 10 acre ranch with horses (good news) but have limited dollars left for a tractor (bad news). I can part with about $5-8k cash for an older used tractor or finance a new tractor. About half of the land is flat, half slightly to moderately hilly and we will need to do some grading for pen/arena, moving manure and then annual weed removal and misc. other projects like prepping for planting hay and stuff like that.
I found an '82 Massey Ferguson 50D with a FEL and box scraper, 62hp diesel, 2WD for around $6800 but am wondering if I would be better served with a 4WD and less HP, like a small Mahindra or Kubota. I can handle payments on a small tractor (18-22hp), but don't want to end up with something underpowered. In the older tractor, I am concerned about potentially having to spend a bunch on repairs, the fact that it is 2WD, although I was told by a MF shop that those engines are fantastic, and most parts are still readily available for that tractor.
Other options are renting a tractor or just hiring someone to do the work, although I think with 10 acres I will end up spending more on those options long term than just buying one.
Any help you can give me to make a decision would be much appreciated!

/ 1983 Massy 50D VS. Mahindra, Kubota compacts #2  
We wound up with the wife's dad old 1976 265 MF farm tractor 60 HP tractor. Very pleased on 15 acre very hilly place and mowing road sides, church fields, etc.

I think you will love a strong FEL/scraper set up like that for under $7K. Picked up 1983 JD 310B 60 HP backhoe 5 years ago for $7200. Have blown some holes and it is worn out but starts and runs good.

20 HP tractors can be very handy but are very limited when it comes to traction and floating over ditches, etc.

Both sizes are awesome but a 60 HP tractor can do a lot of work.

/ 1983 Massy 50D VS. Mahindra, Kubota compacts #3  
I agree with Gale that a bigger tractor is better for big jobs like haying. How many hours are on the MF and how was it serviced? Are there records for service and what work has been done?

/ 1983 Massy 50D VS. Mahindra, Kubota compacts
Thanks a bunch for the responses. It sounds like an older, we'll maintained tractor with a little more guts may be the ticket for me if I can get it at the right price.