1986 Ford 455

/ 1986 Ford 455 #1  

rdwyer

Tractor
2015 Mahindra 28XL Hydro
I’m looking at buying a 455 with a siezed engine. A couple of questions…
How difficult is it to get parts for this tractor, engine or otherwise?
What are the big ticket issues with this unit that can really drain the bank account?
I cannot find what the loader lift capacity is on this tractor…can anyone provide that?

Thanks,
—Rick

/ 1986 Ford 455 #2  
The parts for the engine are very available from a variety of sources. The basic tractor is common to many of the ag and industrial tractors of 1987-2000. The transmission was built by Kubota, but doesn’t share parts of Kubota tractors. Those parts are harder to get and expensive.
It was basically a lesser powered, fewer bells and whistles than a 555C.

/ 1986 Ford 455
Thanks. Any idea of its lift capacity with the loader?

/ 1986 Ford 455 #5  
The parts for the engine are very available from a variety of sources. The basic tractor is common to many of the ag and industrial tractors of 1987-2000. The transmission was built by Kubota, but doesn’t share parts of Kubota tractors. Those parts are harder to get and expensive.
It was basically a lesser powered, fewer bells and whistles than a 555C.

I mis-spoke on this. Yours is a plain 455 with the Borg Warner mechanical shift shuttle (not electro-hydraulic). Unit is completely Ford and has commonality with backhoe and skiploaders from 1975-85. It was a non frills backhoe, but it also was Ford's flat-deck skiploader alternative to the Deere 310, Case 480LL and MF50. Ford had the 445 and 545 straddlemount skiploaders already, but needed to offer this mainly for bids.

/ 1986 Ford 455 #6  
I’m looking at buying a 455 with a siezed engine. A couple of questions…
How difficult is it to get parts for this tractor, engine or otherwise?
What are the big ticket issues with this unit that can really drain the bank account?
I cannot find what the loader lift capacity is on this tractor…can anyone provide that?

Thanks,
—Rick
A seized engine may require you finding a new engine.

/ 1986 Ford 455 #8  
The loader will pick up an entire load of oilfield pipe off a 3/4 ton truck maxed out with a pipe trailer. That's with forks in front of the bucket. I've taken several of those apart. Put a new flex plate for the torque converter if you take engine out. You may get it freed up without removing. I've taken several good machines apart just because flex plate broke. Good machine. Keep it greased.