1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems

/ 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems #1  

boatmoter

Silver Member
Tractor
john deere 212// john deere 320 // ford 2120 loader
Hi all, just bought a 1988 new Holland compact 2120 with loader, has the Asian 4 cyl engine, the Hydraulics don't work, it has 2 hydraulic pumps on the side of the engine, what do each of these pumps operate?? it also has the shuttle shift.. my friend I purchased it from claims he can bleed air from the pump and it will work great until it sits again, I know the pump seal is not leaking the fluid into the engine,I would love to get a Hydraulic flow chart-piping diagram on this one..:eek:

/ 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems #2  
Re: 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems

Hi all, just bought a 1988 new Holland compact 2120 with loader, has the Asian 4 cyl engine, the Hydraulics don't work, it has 2 hydraulic pumps on the side of the engine, what do each of these pumps operate?? it also has the shuttle shift.. my friend I purchased it from claims he can bleed air from the pump and it will work great until it sits again, I know the pump seal is not leaking the fluid into the engine,I would love to get a Hydraulic flow chart-piping diagram on this one..:eek:

Your tractor was built for Ford, by Shibaura of Japan.
Shibaura built highly desirable tractors.

/ 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems
Re: 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems

I drained fluid, replaced ALL Orings and gaskets on the suction side from differential to the HHS & Hydraulic pumps,replaced Hydraulic filter,and the gasket at the differential also.. so,I covered any possible air leak on the suction side of the Hydraulics, the Loader, 3 point, and PTO & HHS trans does not work, seems the HHS trans pump & the Hydraulic pump for the loader & 3 point use the same suction pipe but the piping goes to the hydraulic pump first.. so, anyone know where my next step would be?? pump air leakage?? pressure by passing somewhere?? I first wanted to cover any suction side air leaks, or clogged filter, I have done that..:confused:

/ 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems #4  

You need to do a bit of experimenting to see how fast it's losing it's prime. Bleed the air, get it all working then let it sit a few hours, does it still work? If then sit for a few days, does it work? The speed at which it loses will go a long way to telling where to start looking.

You can spend a LOT of time chasing your tail trying to find 'invisible' problems like this.

There's lots of places air can enter the system if you have a leak. I've even seen one where the loader valve was the culprit, unless the unit was parked with all circuits pressure free gravity would let them down causing vacuum on the other side and the cavitation would cause it to gulp air.

/ 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems

You need to do a bit of experimenting to see how fast it's losing it's prime. Bleed the air, get it all working then let it sit a few hours, does it still work? If then sit for a few days, does it work? The speed at which it loses will go a long way to telling where to start looking.

You can spend a LOT of time chasing your tail trying to find 'invisible' problems like this.

There's lots of places air can enter the system if you have a leak. I've even seen one where the loader valve was the culprit, unless the unit was parked with all circuits pressure free gravity would let them down causing vacuum on the other side and the cavitation would cause it to gulp air.

been taking my time working on this tractor, so far, I have the loader & 3 point working great.
I removed the diverter valve and dismantled, found the check valve stuck and the inside of the valve filthy, cleaned,used engine assembly lube on all the parts, reinstalled and the loader & 3 point work great .. now,time to get to work on the HSS trans.. hooked my pressure tester up and it has the 250lbs the book says it requires, removed the shuttle shift valve and dismantled, it was too filthy and a couple of the valves were stuck in it also.cleaned and lubed and awaiting time to reinstall. I feel pretty good about the outcome,I believe the stuck valves were letting the pump pressure go back into the sump, thanks for your reply.. :)

/ 1988 ford 2120 compact tractor with loader & shuttle shift, Hydraulic problems #6  

been taking my time working on this tractor, so far, I have the loader & 3 point working great.
I removed the diverter valve and dismantled, found the check valve stuck and the inside of the valve filthy, cleaned,used engine assembly lube on all the parts, reinstalled and the loader & 3 point work great .. now,time to get to work on the HSS trans.. hooked my pressure tester up and it has the 250lbs the book says it requires, removed the shuttle shift valve and dismantled, it was too filthy and a couple of the valves were stuck in it also.cleaned and lubed and awaiting time to reinstall. I feel pretty good about the outcome,I believe the stuck valves were letting the pump pressure go back into the sump, thanks for your reply.. :)

I think you found the source of all of your issues. Some times, the simplest stuff causes the biggest headaches.