1993 Ford 1920 possible fuel leak

/ 1993 Ford 1920 possible fuel leak #1  

bbradford

Tractor
1993 Ford 1920
Hey guys, quick question here.
So my dad and I picked up a Ford 1920 and I noticed it seemed like it was leaking something. At first the guy said it was just the lube and grease that he had just put on it, said the engine was probably just melting it. It has since then been leaking nonstop and Ive noticed it smells like diesel. We think we have traced the leak to a fuel line. I dont currently have photos of it though. It appears as if the diesel is leaking out near one of the clamps possibly? Would that indicate that we need a new hose or something else? Also, I have never done anything like replacing the hose but I would assume that there cant be much to it? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!

/ 1993 Ford 1920 possible fuel leak #2  
Without pictures and more description is hard to do any diagnostic. If it smells like diesel then most likely it is as oil and antifreeze don't smell like diesel. Follow the fuel line from tank out let to filter inlet. From filter outlet to fuel pump inlet. From fuel pump outlet to the injectors (this portion is high pressure part). From tank to the pump inlet is all gravity fed. Clean up all the line with rags to see any indication. make sure hose clamps are all there and tight (Not super tight). Start the tractor and verify any leaking from fuel pump outlet to injector, take care not to open this line while the engine is running. This is the high pressure line. If you change any rubber fuel line from tank to injector pump inlet then you will need to bleed the air out of the system, which would be appropriate for another discussion.

JC,

/ 1993 Ford 1920 possible fuel leak
I will try to get pics asap. It will probably be a week or so since I am in college. I think we had it narrowed down to the specific line even.

/ 1993 Ford 1920 possible fuel leak #4  
I will try to get pics asap. It will probably be a week or so since I am in college. I think we had it narrowed down to the specific line even.

Ok . Should be simple to fix. I suggest get all you need to repair and replace the rubber hose, run the tractor for 5 minutes to get up to temp. Replace the line and try to bleed the air out without working the injector ( you can pinch the rubber hose by finger and mount it, leaking a bit of diesel doing so) and start the tractor. Warm tractor starts easier and you might be able to belch out remaining air in the line easier without a a lot of hiccups of the engine.

Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at it and see what I can do

/ 1993 Ford 1920 possible fuel leak #6  
If any doubt, buy a can of brake cleaner, blow all the parts in that area clean, then observe the new leaking areas.

Remember, due can leak and run, and drip somewhere not near the leak.

Stay away from pressurized diesel, dont get it injected under your skin!

Sorry I havent responded or posted pictures yet, I have been busy with work and school. We know for 100% that it is a fuel line, we were able to see it as it was leaking. Im going to try to fix it next weekend!

/ 1993 Ford 1920 possible fuel leak #8  
Nice. follow the evidence and you'll find the culprit most of the time.