2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #41  
I run 4wd when needed too. To me, that means any time it isn't on pavement, or 99.5% of the time. I suppose I paid for that -- I had to replace my front tires after only 18 years. :)

The flat surfaces on our place are limited to the parking area at the house and the yard next to the outbuildings. The vast majority of the place ranges from sloped to steep.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #44  
About the only time I use the front wheel assist is when clearing snow. My loader hasn't been removed yet...and I doubt I ever do. But even using the loader, I don't normally need 4WD.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #45  
I use 4WD only when doing loader work and once in a while while mowing. I find when mowing at times I tear up parts of the lawn when on certain slopes with 4 WD. Sometimes it is on and sometimes off depending on the moisture.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #46  
I don't use my tractors for mowing, mostly dirt work so they stay in 4 wd most of the time. I do notice a lot of wear on the front tires of the LS which has R1 tires, not so much on the B26 and the R4's on it.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #47  
I'm always in 4x4. I have a hilly, rocky piece of land, and the tractor never sees pavement.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #48  
As for tire wear... Consider that the fronts are what,,,,, 70% the height of the rears,,,,, how many more revolutions are they turning compared to the rears??? No surprise that they wear out quicker. Time frame shortened or lengthened somewhat by frequency of 4wd engagement. :)

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #49  
There's also a skidding effect to the sides with the fronts that causes wear.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #50  
There's also a skidding effect to the sides with the fronts that causes wear.

Yep, turning stress is an added wear on the fronts versus the rears. Then throw in the operators that have the tractor in 4wd when not needed and that wear is accelerated. :)