2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM
Tom_H said:
I am not a mechanic. I am a school teacher. The basic work on a BX does not require the skill of a mechanic. It just takes a little patience and the willingness to learn.

However, you obviously enjoy working on machinery. The average homeowner does not have the time or the patience to deal with the BX maintenance schedule. Heck, the average homeowner does not service his/her own lawn tractor, and lawn tractors are an order of magnitude simpler to maintain than the BX (not too mention that they can be serviced with a minimal set of tools).

Most homeowners are not going to spend an entire weekend figuring out how to align a 300lb mower deck and fixing assembly problems. However, that is how I spent this past weekend. Figuring out how to put that tension spring back on the sway bar would have been too much for the average homeowner as the spring needs to be compressed to put the nut back on. I finally used a large screwdriver to pry the sway bar up high enough to have a few threads sticking up through the top washer; however, that was not before seriously considering calling in a professional.

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #12  
I'm going to add my two cents, being an average home owner I think my BX 2200 is a great machine. I might be more mechanical inclined than others because getting dirt and grease under finger nails don't bother me! I had my BX for 5 years and just 2 weeks ago ordered/received the 60" deck. I ordered from whole goods so what this means it's in a shipping crate. I asked about the owner’s manual and the dealer told me it's with the deck. After getting it home on Friday evening no manual to be found I was able to figure it out how to mount it and cut some grass before dark. Saturday morning finished cutting FIL's place for the first time this year. It's a grass eating machine! I checked level and found 1/4" difference on left side front to rear. I now have the manual and it tells me nothing new that I haven’t figured out. I also have a FEL and been switching between mower and loader or vise versa in about 10-15 minutes. I also have a smooth floor space. Having the FEL must have got me use to the grease gun, because servicing this machine is no problem. Good tip about making a platform to set deck on rather than change wheel positions. I did change the clip rings to a different clip.
Dave

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #13  
2002-BX2200 said:
The average homeowner does not have the time or the patience to deal with the BX

I would posit that the average homeowner also does not live on 4 acres of property as you do. The average homeowner has several hundred square feet of turf to mow and that's it; so the average homeowner doesn't need a BX. I grew up in rural GA and now live in rural CA. I have lived in several major towns and cities as well. Virtually all the country people that I know have an understanding of what it takes to live in and maintain rural property. Almost every one of my neighbors has a tractor twice the size of my BX. Living in the country simply is a lot of work. I remember the old TV show, Green Acres with Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor, about a city dude who decides to go live this idyllic life in the country. Turned out to be harder than he realized. Sir, I say this with no disrespect, but life in the country isn't for everybody. My political views differ greatly from the average person on this board, but I share the love of country life most of them have and share the love most of them have about putting in hard work on the land. Life in the country is hard, but I love it and wouldn't go back to living in the city for anything.

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #14  
just got to say im on my 4th kubota in 3 years.
i bought a ragged out b7100 (i think, little thing 4x4 no PS) it had a broken pto gear. so i fixed it all up and sold it for more than i had in it.
that think was junk old and not worth the metal it was made from.
bought a bx23. loved that thing put 360 hrs on it in 18 months and sold it for only 2k less than what i bought it for
now i have a b3030 and a zd326, i love em both.
first thing i do when i buy anything is check everything over, i dont trust anyone. then i open the manual and start reading it on the throne everynight until im done then i start over. it is always better to understand something in your life ahead of time no matter what it is. I understand your frustration, i have to wrestle the deck off of my dads 455 about twice a year for cleaning and it does suck! kubota quality has never ever been a question in my mind, ive seen what happens to a 3k-5k lawn tractor after a few years, they are junk and you basically cant get 100 bucks out of them where as your kubota will be worth something 10 years from now to some new average home owner just starting out. why is it so hard to maintain ? i could service that bx23 in about 30 minutes and 15 of that was waiting for the fluid to run out.
i guess paying for what you cant do is a good idea for some people, me i just learn it, do it, figure out what i did wrong or how to make it easier and move on.

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #15  
All these years I've thought of myself as an avg Joe and here I find out I ain't, ain't life grand :D :D Just kidding.

I actually enjoy wrenching my machinery but wouldn't if I did it for a living.
Some enjoy bikeing, others golf, others drink and gamble etc., but I enjoy tool'n around on the back 40 and fix'n what I tear up. Thank God I'm a country boy :D
ahem,
Whilst out and about earning my living today, I stopped by a Kubota dealer in another town to pick up that anti scalp wheel, axle bolt, lock washer and nut I lost and MAN was I sticker shocked!
$31 worth of sticker shock! But I went on ahead and got 'em cause I needed 'em. Other than filters & fluid it's the 1st part I've had to replace in 3 yrs of service so I'm not complaining, but I was sticker shocked!
The wheel itself was $18 with the axle bolt coming in at $9! The nut & lock washer were about a saw buck for both. The wheel was the new style with a grease fitting, a grease fitting that I've heard will come out after the 1st time I put a grease gun to it. My other three don't have grease fittings and they've held up very well in the 3 mow'n seasons the've endured so I'm not to concerned if it does. I just may check out those greasable wheels from Moweraxle.com if the other three wear out or get lost as the price is similar to Kubota's. Thing is they look like they've got many seasons left in 'em and as long as I check those lock nuts, I may be alright.

2002-BX2200, we all gotta do what we gotta do and if you've found someone that'll wrench your BX and do you right then more power to ya, tain't a thing wrong with that :D

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #16  
Think that one's bad? Try a quick disconnect male and female coupler to the tune of $23 - male and $45 female!
Dealer prices of course.....

Hope you never need either of them...

:eek:

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #17  
On the quick disconnects, Surplus Center has them priced for the set at $13.49

ron

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #18  
Great! Thanks Ron!

/ 2002 BX2200 & RCK60B MMM #19  
Tom_H said:
I would posit that the average homeowner also does not live on 4 acres of property as you do. The average homeowner has several hundred square feet of turf to mow and that's it; so the average homeowner doesn't need a BX. Living in the country simply is a lot of work. I remember the old TV show, Green Acres with Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor, about a city dude who decides to go live this idyllic life in the country. Turned out to be harder than he realized. Sir, I say this with no disrespect, but life in the country isn't for everybody. My political views differ greatly from the average person on this board, but I share the love of country life most of them have and share the love most of them have about putting in hard work on the land. Life in the country is hard, but I love it and wouldn't go back to living in the city for anything.

Tom, "sweet" post (meaning "very good" post). I am a city boy who moved out to the country two years ago (my lot size went from a flat cookie-cutter 40' x 145' to 5 acres most of which is on an old river bank (glacial morraine)). I bought a garden tractor (JD) and after less than a year, started burning out the transmission. I talked to various dealers, and after a bit of research, knew I needed, at a minimum, something like the BX 1500. I went with the BX 2230 because of the hills and wanting something that could tug lots of rock and dirt up and down those hills.

Like the OP, I am not someone who is either mechanically or agriculturally inclined. Limited to a little scrap of lawn and a few flowers, I can make do. I also used to practice law (trial attorney) and worked 60 hours a week or more. Now, I never work more than 50, and usually not more than 40 (changed careers to family therapist).

After two years in the country, at this point all I can say is this: I can't imagine living in the city ever again. I am learning how to take proper care of my tractor. I am learning how to regrade long gravel driveways, use the FEL as a poor man's plow buy churning the soil for new vegetable and flower gardens that, by themselves, are as large as my old yard. I am learning to push large snow piles, and clear two little forests of a decades-old infestation of buckthorn. Most of all, I have a new and tremendous respect for farmers. This forum has taught me that farmers are their own engineers, welding bits and pieces of metal together all the time to make tools that are not available or to save a load of money.

To the original poster, I am sorry for your bad experience with your dealer. I don't know if you have any other choices, but if you do, look around. I have a tractor dealer (Agco/Massey Ferguson) who's sign I can easily see from my front yard--his place is only a few hundred feet down the road from mine (not exaggerating). I wanted to buy a tractor from him (they seem like good guys there, and it would have been nice to be able to drive down the road for parts and maintenance work) and even borrowed one for a weekend to see if I wanted to buy it. In the end, Kubota seemed more reliable and had better resale value for what I wanted, but even more importantly, the Kubota dealer seemed to actually want my business, whereas the neighbor dealer seemed to expect my business (wouldn't negotiate a decent deal on his little tractor--which is still sitting in front of his store more than a year later) and then refused to work on my Kubota even though I've seen other Kubotas in their shop. Oh well. Sometimes you just have to look a little to get what you want. My dealer is fantastic. In fact, I would have to say at this point, they are the most competent and honest dealers of any vehicle I have ever owned. I would rather pay the shipping to send my tractor over 20 miles at this point than drive a tractor 500 feet to the dealer down my road.