2004 polaris ranger no front drive

/ 2004 polaris ranger no front drive #1  

Dougball

Tractor
Mahindra 24 Max
I have a 2004 ranger with a electric rocker switch on the dash to engage the 4 wd and its not shifting into gear. Anyone firmiliar with this setup and how does it engage... thanx

/ 2004 polaris ranger no front drive #2  
Have you checked connections & fuses? I always start with the electrical stuff first.

Ronnie

/ 2004 polaris ranger no front drive #3  
I have an 07 which I bought used and the front wouldn't engage.

First thing you should rule out is the switch. Make sure you have voltage going to the diff.

The next easiest thing is to replace the fluid. The front is a bit finicky if it has the wrong fluid or it got water in it.

If, however, you jack the front up and spin the yours by hand and there is binding or grinding noises probably the cage inside is broken. I remember it being a relatively inexpensive part and a relatively easy job to replace.

Either case if you don't have binding and don't want to take the diff apart, I would definitely try replacing the fluid.

Good luck

/ 2004 polaris ranger no front drive
switch is lit and I had in the air this summer on jack stands and it seemed to be working, but under load Christmas eve no 4wd...are these front drives hydrostastic ?

/ 2004 polaris ranger no front drive #6  
check wires to dif. Friend of mine had mice chew em off.

/ 2004 polaris ranger no front drive #7  
Yes check the wires going to the diff not that the switch lights up. The diffs are not hydrostatic.