2005 New Holland TC45DA turns over but will not start

/ 2005 New Holland TC45DA turns over but will not start #1  

Nothnagc

Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
Hello,

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. I have a New Holland TC45DA that will turn over (crank) but will not fire. After a lot of review in this forum I was able to determine that the wire leading to the fuel pump solenoid was not receiving power to engage the solenoid. The seat switch checked out as good as well as all of the fuses. I believe the ignition switch is good as well. As I was testing the wire I noticed that every once in a while my tester would light up, indicating power to the solenoid. During one of these times I plugged the wire back into the solenoid and the tractor started right up. I used the tractor for a few minutes and it shut down. I turned the key off and back on, waited for the glow plug light to turn off and then wiggled the cable (click) I heard the solenoid engage tried the tractor and it started again. I was thinking it was a loose wire or bad connection but on my third attempt, wiggling the wire didn't work. I eventually jumped the solenoid from the battery and the tractor started. I guess my questions are

1. What is the wire to the solenoid on the fuel pump there to protect? Is its main purpose the operator safety system (seat, brake, pto and gear switches), or does it also protect the tractor from internal damage (oil pressure, temp, etc.)

2. What do you think would be the best way to troubleshoot something like this? Do they make a code reader like they do for a car?

Thank you in advance for any help!!
Craig

/ 2005 New Holland TC45DA turns over but will not start #2  
Have you tried searching the web for a wiring diagram? I would take a guess and say, if it has a fuel shut off solenoid it also has a relay, somewhere, that operates it.
A service manual would come in handy if you plan to keep the tractor.

/ 2005 New Holland TC45DA turns over but will not start
I was able to review a wiring diagram and it does have a relay ... it also looks like the operator safety items are the only things tied into the relay. I think it's just a matter of eliminating the wiring, relay and switches now. I'm going to start by replacing the connector on the end of the wire and work my way back from there.

Thank you!!
Craig