21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #11  
Thanx gentlemen for all the responses....I have tried all of the above with no success yet. I forgot to mention that Calif. has ("CARB"... Calif. Air Resources Board) that requires all these polution devices even on small lawn machines. There is several additional hoses confined in the engine cowling too, on this V twin engine that is hampering the progress.

The expression "SEAFOAM" is a new one to me, and where would I purchase this product?
It sounds like that maybe the solution! Starting fluid in the float bowl hasn't worked yet.

Seafom can be found at the local NAPA dealer, WalMart, and other auto parts stores.

One early summer, I bought a boat that hadn't been used for several years. when I took it out on the lake, the 50HP engine had about the same power and effect as a grandpa's 5HP jonboat. I took it home and poured about 1/4 a bottle in the fuel tank. The next day, I took the boat back out on the lake. This time, it took off like it had a 5HP engine until I was on the other side of the lake. All of the sudden, in the middle of the turn to go back, the boat leaped up on it's prop and took off like someone had branded a bull on it's male parts! That lasted only until the engine torqued itself off the transom and deep sixed. I'd say the SeaFoam works well for ungumming and removing lacquer from inside your carburetor. At least it did for me until the engine submarined.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor
Well guys, I am soaking that carburetor with that "SeaFoam." I will let it soak over-nite, then maybe use a little air-pressure from my compressor, to check for any blockage that remains? I don't want to damage anything....so I will be prudent with that compressed air! It did have blockage in the fuel line at the carb, when I tried blowing into the fuel line prior.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #13  
When I used the compressed air, I did it to simulate airflow through the carb, not fuel flow. Be careful you don't blow a gasket or diaphragm. Other than that, I only poured the Seafoam into the fuel tank, not soaked the carb in it. Give us the up to dates on how soaking works.

Well, here's my lack of any progress. Part of the carb./choke inlet is where I injected the Sea Foam for 24 hrs, hoping it would reach the float? Meanwhile, I once again checked to make sure the fuel line from the rear tank didn't have any flow restrictions to the carb. That checked out, but still no flow into the carb. It will still start with starting fluid, but I now realize I must tackle the carb, which will put the project on hold, till time permits.

I also plan on putting a fuel shut-off to purge the carb, to prevent this episode from ever happening again, after the seasons over? I think there is less than five total operating hours since new? This one has an additional set of four rubber hoses, (two per side) on/in the engine cowling, I think for pollution purpose only?

I do have a vintage backup mower to survive the season. This older Craftsman is a vintage twin 18hp purchased new 20 yrs ago now, without all the smog tubes, and additional clutter.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #15  
Have never heard of seafoam. But to really clean the carb I have always used carb parts dip. I take the carb apart and soak it overnight. This will really clean it. Like I said I never hear of seafoam, it may work. Good Luck

I also never heard of it till it was suggested here. It's a quality product I think, but I haven't removed the carb so the "Sea Foam" has'nt reached the float yet, without dis-assembly first. I didn't shop the price, and may have spent too much for a standard spray can? It's has a low evaporation rate compared to other cleaners, with a more oily base too. Anyway, I purchased it at list price $20!

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #17  
I also never heard of it till it was suggested here. It's a quality product I think, but I haven't removed the carb so the "Sea Foam" has'nt reached the float yet, without dis-assembly first. I didn't shop the price, and may have spent too much for a standard spray can? It's has a low evaporation rate compared to other cleaners, with a more oily base too. Anyway, I purchased it at list price $20!

You're spinning your tires. You have to dig down to the carb - it shouldn't be too hard to find. There should be a drain screw on the bowl. Open it and drain all of the fuel out of it. Find the fuel line and disconnect it - easiest at the in-line filter. Spray aerosol carburetor cleaner through the line into the carb. Put at least 1/2 can in there. Re-connect the fuel line and turn over the motor until you see the filter fill with fuel. Then wait an hour. It should start, although it might be stubborn while you are clearing out the cleaner. Once you get it running, fill your tank 1/4 full and spray the other 1/2 can of aerosol carburetor cleaner into the tank. Take the machine out and mow until you run out of gas.

JayC

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #18  
I use SeaFoam all the time it works well. Mind you I'm not saying it will replace a carb rebuild but it will prevent the carb from going there again. First, you need a inline fuel shutoff, use it every time. Second, premium gasoline makes a giant difference in small engines. Third, mix the SeaFoam with the premium gasoline, I believe one ounce to a gallon. I have seen the SeaFoam at Napa for $7. I go TSC often, so usually buy it there at $9 or $10.