2120 purchase

/ 2120 purchase #1  

jimmysisson

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)
Hello. Are there any special things to look for in a 1200 hour 1993 2120, 12/12 shuttle, mfwd, loader/qa bucket? It's a one-owner private-use job with soft cab + some implements for $13,500. Uses will be snow plowing, light logging, brush hogging, grading woods roads, etc. It would be my first 4wd tractor, though I got my first Farmall A 33 years ago. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks, Jim

/ 2120 purchase #2  
If you do a search in the various forums there's some info there. I think the most common ailment has something to do w/ the power shuttle which I believe it's an electroincs problem. I know at least one other member her owns a 2120 so let's see if he checks in.

/ 2120 purchase #3  
The 20 series were and still are one of Ford/NH's best compact tractors. They are a simple, reliable tractor. There is not very many complaints about them that I know of and if there is it is usually an isolated problem. Rick B will be able to tell you if there is any type of common problem with the 2120. I have a 1920, my neighbor and old boss has a 1920 he uses on his fruit farm and another of my friends has a 2120. All three are FWA and two have loaders and the only problem I have with mine is a faulty safety switch that wouldn't let the tractor start from the key.

/ 2120 purchase #4  
I've got a 1996 2120, purchased 2 years ago with 600 hours. It's at 1350 now, and I've used it hard, logging, land clearing, and now I've stuck a 758 bachhoe on it. The only issue I know of is on the earlier ones the transmission bolts would loosen. I check mine once in a while, nothing loose yet. I just bought a stone bucket, I wish mine was the q/a. I guess. Probably adds some weight and the bucket is around 600 lbs. now. I'm getting better at switching buckets, tho.

/ 2120 purchase #5  
I have to agree on the comment about the 20 series tractor. i had a 1920.. love dthat tractor.. probably the best compact tractor I've ever owned

I'd treat it like any other new to me/use dpurchase. look for oil in the water.. water in the oil.. check fluid inthe sumps.. dirive in all ranfges / rpm.. let it get warm.. check hyds and for leaks.. check shifting.. etc. And cold starting.

Soundguy

/ 2120 purchase #6  
I had a circa 1988 Ford 1920 also(one size down from the 2120) and it was a great tractor. In some ways, I liked it better than the Kubota L4330 I replaced it with. The bad thing was non-syncro transmission but I think your shuttle version addresses that. The only problem was a power steering pump in 1100 hrs.

John

/ 2120 purchase #7  
I have had the luxury of using both trannys in the 1920's. The Shuttle is much nicer but I did not have any trouble with the base tranny. It is like the older tractors where you have to be completely stopped before you change gears. Not a problem if you are use to older tractors but I can imagine it would suck if you are use to a syncro tranny.

/ 2120 purchase
Hi guys. Thanks for the info. I bought this right away unit after inspecting it. It's as good as it can be at 1200 hours: oil changes every 100 hrs, no repairs at all in its lifetime, Sims cab w/soft sides which seemed like a good cross between protection and access. Good tin and paint and tires. Also has the q/a bucket, HD forks, and a Fisher pickup snowplow with p/a set up for the q/a with the angle run from the rear remote. He threw in a decent Norse light logging winch and we shook on $14K. I'm happy and can't wait to put it to work. Now, we'll see if 4 wd is all it's cracked up to be (I know it is). The former owner is going to get a rubber-track skidsteer to move materials and plow his drive, he's retirement age. Appreciate all the comments, Jim