2305 vs 2520 vs 3320 - Need advice

/ 2305 vs 2520 vs 3320 - Need advice #21  
I'm sure you'll be pleased with any of the three. I had a 2210 and upgraded to a 2520. I would have loved to go bigger yet, but over the long haul anything bigger would have been a major over kill for me. The 2520 is a big tractor in a reasonable sized package. Not much it won't do, though you could probably say the same about the 2305. For me it came down to getting the most tractor without getting to big. I wanted something that could easily be stored, maneuverable, and easily trailer behind my mid sized SUV. So far I can honestly say that I'm thrilled my decision to go with the 2520... Have fun shopping and keep us posted. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 2305 vs 2520 vs 3320 - Need advice #22  
Well Tim you're certainly getting lots of advice. I'll give you some from a former borrower, new owner. I too have 7 acres and of similar composition. I've only mowed twice with my 2305/5' RFM. I love it. The pasture is rough and uneven as can be but the float on the mower is great. I've used the FEL with only a box blade for ballast, having lots of fun. I decided on the 2305 because it was the most powerful and affordable sub-compact, it would definitely fit in my shed now, and I didn't want to wait more years for a new building to put a bigger one in. And it was available last month when I convinced myself that I really needed one, not several months into the season. I too have been buying a bunch of attachments that I otherwise could not afford had I spent more on the tractor. I'm satisfied that the tractor I bought far exceeds the tractor that was regularly loaned to me. And that is all that I have to judge it by.

Am I sure that I shouldn't have gone bigger?

Power wise, I'm very satisfied. Ground clearance wise, pushing limbs and stuff I have to be careful. My bush hogging days are behind me. If you plan to clear much brush on uneven ground you might think about more clearance. An FEL can help clear the way, without one I was fond of backing into brush rather than driving over it.

Weight wise, I haven't used the box blade yet, and I haven't loaded the tires yet either. Something tells me that my R4s would slip less on the grassy hills if I had more weight. Why not start with a heavier tractor?

The limited Cat 1 3PH? I haven't had a chance to really know what I'm missing and I may never know unless I became familiar with a different one.

Hindsight is always 20/20 or better. If I was buying this summer, and not late in February, I would look really hard at the 2320. I wonder just how much more money it will be. I was quoted $3k more for a 4115 than the 2305. I couldn't see paying more money for less HP and the faded paint of a machine that had been sitting on the lot a while. Had that been a 2320 sitting side by side I might have decided differently.

I just hope that if you buy a 2305 (and love it like I do) that your wife and your friends don't say "What a cute little tractor". The right tractor will fit your budget, your needs and the space that you have to take good care of it. The wants is where the trouble comes. Good Luck.

Bob

/ 2305 vs 2520 vs 3320 - Need advice #23  
Tim,

I still REALLY think you should consider the 3320. It is not so big as to be not manuverable but is big enough to do any task you wish. Yes, it is more expensive, but it is also more tractor. Flat platform, tilt wheel, much stouter hydraulics, LoadMatch (worth its weight in gold on this machine) are just a few of the features that make it worth checking out. It is not a lot larger dimension wise to the 2520 but weighes a lot more, which means loader work and ground engagement tasks go a lot better. Despite this, my 3000 series mid frame I owned would mow as well as my father's 335 in finish cutting, would do it a lot faster and use about half the fuel, even though it weighes five times or so more!!! Seriously, I do not think you could make a mistake with any of the machines, but from my past experience, please do not buy too small. I have in the past spent more money upgrading from a "too small" machine to a "just right" machine than I would have just going with more to start. You might find that you fit on a 2305 or 2520 just right and one of them is exactly your cup of tea, but for me, about five minutes after riding a 4115 and then hopping on a mid frame sealed it, especially when I saw how little the difference in price was for the larger machine. You can also haul it well on a 16' tandem trailer, which is really about what you would need anyway for a 2520, based on its length. Weight wise, they could both be towed with a half ton truck if you will be needing to transport them much.

John M

/ 2305 vs 2520 vs 3320 - Need advice #24  
Tim,

Check to see if dealer (s) will drop off a machines for you to test. Good points for 2520 and 3320. Now I am even confused!! BH goes on the 3320 without a subframe as well!! just something else to consider!

Good Luck

Jamie

/ 2305 vs 2520 vs 3320 - Need advice #25  
John makes a point the we often over look.

LoadMatch is fantastic. You don't even realize it unless you turn it off. It isn't as useful on turbo equipped machines, but normally aspirated ones it really makes a difference!