2310 engine shutoff solenoid

/ 2310 engine shutoff solenoid #1  

LBorst

Tractor
Mahindra 2310
Hey I’m a complete engine repair novice. I have an older Mahindra 2310 which stopped shutting off w the key about a year ago. I have just been killing it by popping the clutch. Well I keep going through batteries for some reason even when trying to keep them charged. Anyway I replaced the battery and worked the tractor for an hour and a half and when I got back to the barn the fuel shutoff solenoid was smoking like an electrical fire. So I disconnected it and bought a new one. The new one’s connecting really loosely to the power source and still doesn’t turn off the engine w the key. It also gets super hot. I could use some guidance on what to do next.

Attachments

• IMG_4338.jpeg
    IMG_4338.jpeg
    749.2 KB · Views: 55
   / 2310 engine shutoff solenoid #2  
Pull the boot down a smidge..or squeeze it & see if there are any adjusting nuts..
On some similar solenoids there r adjusting nuts to adjust it to where it bottoms in its housing..
If it doesn’t bottom, it gets very hot and eventually burns up in short order..
Did u get any instructions w the new solenoid.??

/ 2310 engine shutoff solenoid
No it didn’t come w any instructions. By bottoms you mean the little arm completely retracts correct? Also the whole apparatus this thing attaches to needs to be cleaned I’ll do that as well.

So…. I had the battery in backwards. The pos was on the ground. *facepalm* anyway the solenoid connection is a little loose on the replacement but i turned the battery around and it now works! Turns off w the switch. Battery is charging and I think this one is solved. Thank you!

/ 2310 engine shutoff solenoid #5  
Wow, so you had positive ground while hooked up wrong. Did the starter motor turn backwards? Did the motor then run backwards when it started?
Just curious...
Simon

I mean it ran just fine which surprised me - I thought it wouldn’t function but it did - just burned up the shut off solenoid. In my defense the connections aren’t color coded (both are black) and I didn’t pay attention when I replaced the last battery