231s Massey

/ 231s Massey #1  

Pick wick

Tractor
2003 Massey 231s
231s Massey 2003 with 700 hours.
Hi, my Massey with a FE seems to make a whining noise after it is warmed up. The hydraulics have always seemed a little weak. I have changed the filter around 300 hours ago. Does it need a fluid change? I work it pretty hard in the woods lifting logs and digging in the dirt.
Thanks!

/ 231s Massey #2  
Does it have front mounted hydraulic pump or
Does run three point pump plumbing
Would be under seat
What loader is on it for so thave it s own reservoir which would be for a front many questions
Need more input

/ 231s Massey
The Massey has a MF 1040 loader on it that is plumbed into the tractor hydraulics. the tractor does not have a front mounted pump. There is plumbing lines under the seat.
Thanks for your help

/ 231s Massey #4  
Internal hydraulics are slow of three point works good and pto works good pumps are
Probably ok
There is a screen on pump it comes out bottom three hole cover on bottom of differential have to drain oil of course
They used to make a kit for those so you could run front pump off crankshaft, but if you have solid pin on front end you had to change it out to hollow one so driveshaft went thru it

/ 231s Massey
Thanks for your help!

/ 231s Massey #6  
Internal hydraulics are slow of three point works good and pto works good pumps are
Probably ok
There is a screen on pump it comes out bottom three hole cover on bottom of differential have to drain oil of course
They used to make a kit for those so you could run front pump off crankshaft, but if you have solid pin on front end you had to change it out to hollow one so driveshaft went thru it.
A plugged screen, filter, or air leak in the suction line to the hydraulic pump will all make a pump whine.
In fact that whine is a useful diagnostic sound. My guess it is one of the three and my advice would be to do them all. Reason why is that the whine is causing pump damage. & fixing the flow to the pump is cheap and quick to do. Those Masseys are too good of a tractor to let that continue.

The real hot setup decades ago on even earlier Masseys was a front pump run off a lovejoy coupling from the front of the crankshaft. That pump drew fluid from a separate hydraulic reservoir often inside the loader uprights. Cessna made a popular small 4 to 5gpm pump for that purpose. It came as a kit. I don't think they make that anymore. The front pump reservoir didn't have to have a lot of capacity since all it did was run the loader.

/ 231s Massey
Thanks for your help!