25 Acres worth buying hay equipment?

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #101  
So mushroom hay can be a field of weeds, or can be hay that had 2“ rain wile down as long as its dry?
No, not a lot of weeds. Anything more than a little Goldenrod, multiflora, poison Ivy, stickers, dogbane, etc. will get you rejected. You can’t bring in junk.
Yes, it can be rained on hay, but most guys I know pawn off rained on hay as feed hay, too.

Last edited:
   / 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #102  
What is left of the hay once the mushroom growers are done with it? How often do they swap it out?

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #103  
What is left of the hay once the mushroom growers are done with it? How often do they swap it out?

It is mixed with lime, poultry litter, water and some screened soil. What comes out after it grows mushrooms looks like peat moss. Not sure how often they swap it out, but it’s a constant ongoing day & night process.

The byproduct is called “spent mushroom compost”. It’s pretty good stuff and best of all, it’s free.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #104  
What kind of mushrooms? The big white buttons or portobello? Around here we have a company called Creech. They buy all the horse barn mucking and stockpile it. Its eventually baled and sent to mushroom growers.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #105  
What kind of mushrooms? The big white buttons or portobello? Around here we have a company called Creech. They buy all the horse barn mucking and stockpile it. Its eventually baled and sent to mushroom growers.

Every mushroom you can imagine. Shitakes, Portobellos, etc.
I live 8 miles from the mushroom capital of the world!

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #106  
We(I) eat a crap ton of mushrooms. My wife cooks with them, a lot buttons and portobellos but if she brings home a jar of like green giant mushrooms she wants to cook with for something she has to hide them. Right now is morel time here.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #107  
We(I) eat a crap ton of mushrooms. My wife cooks with them, a lot buttons and portobellos but if she brings home a jar of like green giant mushrooms she wants to cook with for something she has to hide them. Right now is morel time here.
Many come from Asia now, but we export them like crazy out of here. Refrigerated tractor trailers heading to the waterfront or Phila Intl Airport.

The poor economy has been a setback.

Let’s face it, if’ns you only got $100 for food and you need the basics (milk, bread, cereal, beer & weed) mushrooms are a luxury food that is first to be left off the shopping list

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #108  
It is mixed with lime, poultry litter, water and some screened soil. What comes out after it grows mushrooms looks like peat moss. Not sure how often they swap it out, but it’s a constant ongoing day & night process.

The byproduct is called “spent mushroom compost”. It’s pretty good stuff and best of all, it’s free.
How do they mix it? Do they have a mixer or something? Does the hay get chopped up before they mix it?

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #109  
How do they mix it? Do they have a mixer or something? Does the hay get chopped up before they mix it?
Its a large piece of equipment with big augers that blends it all with water.

This kind of gives you the idea.

Last edited:
   / 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #110  
Its a large piece of equipment with big augers that blends it all with water.
Is it something like a TMR mixer for feeding livestock? I can't access your video.

Last edited: