2520 ballast box

/ 2520 ballast box #1  

Campjd

Tractor
2011 John Deere 2520
I'm wondering has anyone modified their box's to hold more weight. Right now mine is full of sand with 4 PVC pipes for landscape tools. I am considering adding two tubes filled with sand or concrete to each side. I'm thinking the more weight I can put back there the better. Any thoughts?

/ 2520 ballast box #2  
Too much can lead to problems as well. My 3720 and 300X manuals have fairly comprehensive sections on ballast. It stands to reason that your tractor and loader manuals should too.

FWIW, my manuals indicate that basic ballast box is rated to hold sufficient counterweight to offset the loader and loader capacity on a 2000 series. The ballast box extensions seem intended to counterbalance the heavier loaders/capacities on the 3000 and 4000 series.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / 2520 ballast box #3  
Loose the sand and add cement, Portland cement if you really want it heavy. JD also sells an extension for the top.

/ 2520 ballast box #4  
what would be the result of using portland and not adding the water? does that weigh more than sand but could still be removed so as not to be as permanent as concrete? just a thought, i don't know the answer. cheers..............................bud

/ 2520 ballast box #5  
I am about to fill my 2520 ballast box half way with portland cement. This way, I figure I have enough weight for 90% of what I will need the loader for, but it gives me some room to add more removable weight (steel, rocks, whatever) if needed + a little storage space since it won't be filled to the top. I also have loaded tires.

/ 2520 ballast box #6  
what would be the result of using portland and not adding the water? does that weigh more than sand but could still be removed so as not to be as permanent as concrete? just a thought, i don't know the answer. cheers..............................bud

It will absorb moisture and turn very hard...Yes it weighs more than sand.

/ 2520 ballast box #7  
Hi,

I have an I-match, portland filled Deere ballast box and when needed, 5-40Lb Deere suitcase weights, that's just about the lifting limit of the 3pt on the 2x20's.

The 200Lbs of weights fit nice in the top of the box when I need the extra, one on each side, on it's side and the 3 in the center standing up. The stay in place very well so far.

Tom

/ 2520 ballast box #8  
I had a couple of issues to address when I got my ballast box. I didn't want anything "permanent" in there. I also needed a place to store my 42 lb suitcase weights. I killed both birds by doing this:

I lined the box with sheet plastic. Then I placed four, 80# bags of concrete in the box with pieces of sheet plastic between each bag. This way, if I ever want to empty the box, all I have to do is smack the concrete with a hammer and it will crumble so I can remove it. The sheet plastic will act as a bond-breaker.

With 4 bags of concrete in the box, I had just enough room for my (8) 42 lb suitcase weights. This brought the total weight of the box to 809 lbs.

Attachments

• 100_0846.jpg
    100_0846.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 2,935
   / 2520 ballast box #9  
The standard ballast box is quite heavy enough to compensate for any weight you can have on the front. Filled mine for the 3520 with concrete and find it rather too heavy, even with a bucketful of gravel or stones.

Attachments

• DSCF1274 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1274 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    494.4 KB · Views: 722
  • DSCF1277 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1277 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 579
  • DSCF1286 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1286 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 713
  • DSCF1289 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1289 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG