2520 Snow Plow Help

/ 2520 Snow Plow Help #1  

marklynn

Tractor
JD 3320
I recently discovered this forum, and am thrilled with all the great info and people that can be found here. I am considering my first tractor purchase and need some advice. I am looking at a JD2520 and have already test driven one. I am impressed with this tractor and it fits my needs well except for one thing. I live on 10 acres in western Michigan and have a 1600' driveway (mostly slag) leading back to my house. When I look at the 54" plow that is recommended for this tractor, I am left with the feeling that it is not adequate for our driveway. Is there another plow solution that can be attached to this tractor that is a little more capable?

By the way, I also have considered the 3320 which is certainly an impressive machine and has a much more capable plow option. However, I think it is a bit too much machine for my needs. It is a little beyond my budget, and I like the 2520's size and weight for mowing our lawn. We have very soft, sandy soil here and I'm not comfortable with the extra 1000+ lbs of the 3320 on our finished lawn. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

/ 2520 Snow Plow Help #2  
Welcome Mark!

Your right it is an awesome site with tonnes of valuable information.

From my limited experience I find the blade works okay for small snow falls coupled with the FEL. I only clear about half what you are looking at doing. You may want to consider the 47" front mount blower. No stopping in heavy snow just one swipe down and back gives you 8' of cleared driveway.

Might get away with the blade on a bigger machine like the 3320 with some nice hydraulic angle options.

My neighbor with his AG tractor and blower clears out my drive if we get lots of snow!

Good luck!

Jamie

/ 2520 Snow Plow Help #3  
Hi Mark - Welcome!

I have the 3320 with MMM and 72" John Deere front blade. The blade is very very nice and really needs a decent sized tractor to use one that big. I have hydraulic angling wich also requires loader mounted hydraulic lines. Typically JD only sells these for the 300CX and 400X/CX loader - I made them work on my 300X. You could add your own if you wanted hydraulic angling.

The myth of the 3K weight of the tractor tearing up the lawn any more than a 1.5K tractor is untrue in the 3X20 size. I mow weekly and rest assured the yard looks just fine. The loading can tear it up and so can driving it into muddy areas but any tractor will do that. Also with 10 acres will you really expect perfection? I have grass I do not see unless I am taking a walk or mowing.

I really am glad I did not go smaller on my purchase. At the time it was the 4115 or the 4310/4410. Then the 3320 came along and that is what I choose. I did not look back.

Good luck. Do not fear the weight when mowing. You will like the size when doing your work. Wait till you can afford the right size - it gets even more expensive to step UP later and have to get rid of the smaller one.

/ 2520 Snow Plow Help
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Welcome Mark!

Your right it is an awesome site with tonnes of valuable information.

From my limited experience I find the blade works okay for small snow falls coupled with the FEL. I only clear about half what you are looking at doing. You may want to consider the 47" front mount blower. No stopping in heavy snow just one swipe down and back gives you 8' of cleared driveway.

Might get away with the blade on a bigger machine like the 3320 with some nice hydraulic angle options.

My neighbor with his AG tractor and blower clears out my drive if we get lots of snow!

Good luck!

Jamie )</font>

Thanks for the suggestions. Because of the slag driveway, I am trying to avoid a snow blower - too many stones I would think. Also, we rarely see a big storm. Instead, it seems like we get a few inches at a time - it just happens constantly. I could plow the drive five times in one week and then nothing the next. Also, a rear blade doesn't work well since our drive is not very flat.

I like your solution of having a neighbor to do it for you when it's really bad. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 2520 Snow Plow Help
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi Mark - Welcome!

I have the 3320 with MMM and 72" John Deere front blade. The blade is very very nice and really needs a decent sized tractor to use one that big. I have hydraulic angling wich also requires loader mounted hydraulic lines. Typically JD only sells these for the 300CX and 400X/CX loader - I made them work on my 300X. You could add your own if you wanted hydraulic angling.

The myth of the 3K weight of the tractor tearing up the lawn any more than a 1.5K tractor is untrue in the 3X20 size. I mow weekly and rest assured the yard looks just fine. The loading can tear it up and so can driving it into muddy areas but any tractor will do that. Also with 10 acres will you really expect perfection? I have grass I do not see unless I am taking a walk or mowing.

I really am glad I did not go smaller on my purchase. At the time it was the 4115 or the 4310/4410. Then the 3320 came along and that is what I choose. I did not look back.

Good luck. Do not fear the weight when mowing. You will like the size when doing your work. Wait till you can afford the right size - it gets even more expensive to step UP later and have to get rid of the smaller one. )</font>

BloomingtonMike,

Thanks for the advice. I like your setup and have read several of your posts. In fact, I basically used your setup to get a 3320 quote to compare with my 2520.

I certainly like the size of the 3320 for loader applications and snow plowing. However, I don't really have that much lawn, less than one acre by the time I clear a little more. My 10 acres is mostly heavily wooded. The soil is really soft and very sandy being half a mile from Lake Michigan. If I got a 3320, I would probably just buy a small Deere lawnmower instead of a big deck that is overkill for me. A separate lawnmower actually works out a little cheaper, but it is a harder sell for my wife since I would then be buying two more machines. A single solution with the 2520 is an easier sell, and in fact, has already been accepted by my wife.

The other issue that I have not totally resolved is tires for either a 2520 or 3320. I like turf tires because of the soft soil. I have also heard they can be better for snowplowing. However, it seems like I see more R4s being sold on these, and I wonder if I'm missing something.

Finally, Mike, I was wondering how you got a 72" blade on your 3320? I see the 66" blade is normally recommended. Also, is there an advantage to the 300X for your setup as opposed to the 300CX?

/ 2520 Snow Plow Help #6  
Mark, Welcome to TBN.

There are many here, myself included, who question the 54" blade from JD. These machines could easily handle a 60" blade or maybe even a 66" blade.
I made a 60" blade for my FEL that is 60" and it works great.
Quite a few folks here have lengthened the JD 54" blade to about 60" by putting wings on each side of the stock blade, and I have seen the height increased as well. There was even one member who listed part numbers for a kit from JD to do the same.

So, don't let the 54" blade be a showstopper for your, if everything else fits your needs, then you can make this blade fits your needs as well, and we are here to help you through it all.

You can also try searching TBN for lots of old post's about this same subject...try "54" blade", "JD Blade" ect., Just be sure to change to date range to "all posts" as it defaults to only one week.

Good luck with your decision...