273 hew holland square baler

/ 273 hew holland square baler #1  

the bear

i reciently replaced the gear box on this baler but one from a 315 it is a diffrent gear ratio speding up plunger speedfrom 8-1 to 5 1/4 to 1 is this going to effect the notter timming or any thing else that could potiently be costly. i was thinking that it would turn it into a high production baler which is the problem with the 273

/ 273 hew holland square baler #2  
As long as the feeder system timing speeds up with the plunger, you are good to go. The knotter action is so fast that the plunger rate is unimportant. The needle lift forces are going to increase because of the faster speed, so make sure the shear pins are in good shape. If the needle lift lets go, its gonna be a chocolate mess after that. You can check all this out by removing all the old hay and twine from the system and doing a dry run.

/ 273 hew holland square baler #4  
The 273 compared to it's larger brothers lacks in caacity from the pick-up size and the number of teeth on the pick-up as well as plunger speed.

I'd think you can help it as long as you can feed it! The knotters should not be any part of the problem!

/ 273 hew holland square baler
well boys after retiming the needles to the plunger it works to beat the bandi had it out about 2inches and every time i made a bale it would hit the safty stop and bust shear pins the needles were not quite camming home so after digging out all the hay from the bale chamber and 1/2 hour later all is fine thanks for your input the bear