$2K lesson with my Round Baler - learn from my ignorance.

/ $2K lesson with my Round Baler - learn from my ignorance. #11  
JD 467

I have not gotten the bill yet. But the belts run around $350 each, pins, labor, etc. I think the verbal I got on the actual belts was $1940 or something.

Expensive lesson, but at least I got my hay done.

D.
A Set of 6 Diamond top belts with Alligator lacing for a JD 467 is $1,320 delivered to your door.

/ $2K lesson with my Round Baler - learn from my ignorance. #12  
I learned that I have to keep the RPMs up when opening and closing the gate to make sure the belts get pulled up and out of the way of the gate.

When running the baler you must have the belts spinning before the gate closes all the way... Everybody else on here might have already known that ,but I didn't I am learning as I go. I hope this helps other not have a failure that costs them $2k....

You could get you a New Holland baler and no mater what rpms you are at, you have no problem openning and closing the tailgate and the belts do not go slack reagardless. they are always out of the way and tight. FYI

/ $2K lesson with my Round Baler - learn from my ignorance. #13  
I really can't imagine baler belts only lasting 10k bales. I've got just over 20k bales on my Vermeer 605 M and the belts are still good. They do show some wear are thinner than a new belt. I know this because I baled up some sharp scrap iron a few years ago baling ditches and cut a belt. Had to splice in a new piece rather than replace the whole belt. I did have all the clips replaced in my belts at 17k bales when it was at the dealer having some warranty work done. Since having new clips put in I've been pretty good about changing my pins every 1000 bales. Sometimes in the past years if I went over 1000 bales some of the pins would be tough to get out and many of them broke into pieces. My dealer told me he had seen some where he couldn't get them out and ended up cutting the old clips out and putting new ones in. I don't ever want to have to do that so I'll make sure I change my pins every 1000 bales. Also I do set my moniter to 68 inches and usually with a big windrow by the time i get stopped after the beep the bale is at 70 or 72 inches. Not sure if thats a reason why I've got so many bales on my belts or not. I have overfilled my baler a few times too, which i don't recommend but I haven't noticed any ill effects yet. I bale a little of everything from alfalfa, to grass hay, to crp, to cattails and slough hay and its unreal some of the things I've baled up, didn't notice, and run through my vermeer hay processer. Ive baled up old T posts, many different pieces of iron, and old tire, countless rake teeth, and an aluminum step off of a semi truck. Generally pretty careful and try to pick up any junk I see but it always amazes me how much stuff never gets noticed and makes it past the mower, rake, and baler. But you always know when it goes through the bale processor lol. Most of that junk came from haying a couple miles of Highway ditches and i quit haying those ditches because of it.

/ $2K lesson with my Round Baler - learn from my ignorance. #14  
I learned that I have to keep the RPMs up when opening and closing the gate to make sure the belts get pulled up and out of the way of the gate.

When running the baler you must have the belts spinning before the gate closes all the way... Everybody else on here might have already known that ,but I didn't I am learning as I go. I hope this helps other not have a failure that costs them $2k....

You could get you a New Holland baler and no mater what rpms you are at, you have no problem openning and closing the tailgate and the belts do not go slack reagardless. they are always out of the way and tight. FYI

Probably the main reason I run 2 red rounders. Green bailers with slack belts remind me of a middle aged man with a pot gut.

NH bailers (Case too) have constant tension on the belts. Incidentaly, I've never repinned a belt or replaced a belt in thousands of bailes of hay, wheat straw and cornstalks. My only otherr choice in round bailers would be Klaas.

/ $2K lesson with my Round Baler - learn from my ignorance. #15  
Probably the main reason I run 2 red rounders. Green bailers with slack belts remind me of a middle aged man with a pot gut.

NH bailers (Case too) have constant tension on the belts. Incidentaly, I've never repinned a belt or replaced a belt in thousands of bailes of hay, wheat straw and cornstalks. My only otherr choice in round bailers would be Klaas.

What about those "other" red rounders - Hesston? :D

AKfish