3-Point Hitch 3-point settings

/ 3-point settings #1  

bikerzing

Tractor
1970 John Deere 1020
Hey Guys,

I have a JD 1020 and am new to tractors. I am currently using the tractor as a snow plow and have a rear blade along with a bucket mounted front plow. I am wondering where I should have my three point set to so that it floats. Is that possible? There are several places that I can have the lever down near my right foot set and can't even tell you what they are off the top of my head. I know it mean something, but I never had an owners manual to understand it. I think it has something to do with how far down it allows the three point to go, but again I can't be certain. Please help :)

/ 3-point settings #2  
Hey Guys,

I have a JD 1020 and am new to tractors. I am currently using the tractor as a snow plow and have a rear blade along with a bucket mounted front plow. I am wondering where I should have my three point set to so that it floats. Is that possible? There are several places that I can have the lever down near my right foot set and can't even tell you what they are off the top of my head. I know it mean something, but I never had an owners manual to understand it. I think it has something to do with how far down it allows the three point to go, but again I can't be certain. Please help :)
Typically a 3ph is always in "float"...position control will set the float level...

/ 3-point settings #3  
The lever is the rockshaft selector lever. The 3 positions are:

1. "L" is load control. The hydraulic system changes the working depth of the implement automatically, as necessary, to maintain the load.

2. "D" is depth control. The implement depth is preset and can only be controlled by changing position of the rockshaft control lever.

3. "LD" is load and depth control. Features of both L and D combine to compensate for, to a lessor extent than L alone, the changing load.

The sensing for the control is done through the draft links and load control shaft. The load control shaft is shaft the draft links attach to. As the draft increases, the shaft flexes. This flexing is transmitted to the rockshaft control valves, internally, to control the implement due to changing load.

The system works if everything is in alignment/adjustment. Pushing snow backwards won't effect the system linkages to have the desired control (IMHO). You might try putting gage skids on your back blade to control the depth of cut.

I recommend you get an owners manual, lots of useful info for the small cost. You can also get a 1020 service manual from John Deere, bound or a CD. It's a little pricier, but it contains a ton of info. You can get a free parts PDF here, Parts ADVISOR™ .

Hope this helps.

/ 3-point settings #4  
Hey Guys,

3pt always floats. The hitch's hydraulics only pushes in one direction - it lifts an implement up, then gravity pulls it down. When plowing, drop your position control the whole way down - your blade will drop until it hits the ground, then will skim along and follow the ground, held down only by its own weight.