3-Point Hitch 3 pt lift arm only moves a few inches

/ 3 pt lift arm only moves a few inches #1  

shorthairtwin

Tractor
Kubota L3710D HST
Hi I am looking at buying my first tractor. I am considering a International 2400B Utility tractor. The owner doesn't know why but the lift arm assembly for the 3 point hitch only moves a few inches using the raise and lower lever. I also noticed that you can move the arms by hand up and down very easily (not sure this is normal or not).

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Any info on how the lift arm works or potential fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 246
   / 3 pt lift arm only moves a few inches #2  
It is normal to be able to raise the 3 point by hand. There is a hydraulic cylinder in the tractor that raises the 3 point. It pushes on a bell crank but is not hard fastened to it. This allows the 3 point to float in the up position. Gravity lowers the hitch.

I am not familiar the specific model tractor you are looking at, but most 3 points have position control. There is a feed back linkage to a hydraulic control valve to maintain the height set by the lever, note that the hitch can still float higher than the set level. There could be a problem with this linkage, the control valve or the cylinder.

Some hitches also have draft control which will automatically control the height based on the drag load of ground engaging equipment like a plow. There is usually a separate lever to turn the draft control on or off. From the picture, it does not look like the tractor has draft control, but if it does maybe it is turned on.

Does the owner have the 3 point lower arms and lift links to go with the tractor? They are not in the picture. You will need them if you want to use 3 point attachments.

/ 3 pt lift arm only moves a few inches #3  
Yes, check on the lift assembly missing parts. Also, I think the PTO in the top position is 1000 rpm, not friendly for 5 or 6 ft implements. I would be very sure of what I was getting before I bought this tractor.