3 pt stabilzer question

/ 3 pt stabilzer question #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
the 3pt stabilizers that (supposedly) keep the end of the 3pt arms from moving from side to side are sorta bugging me on my Mahindra 3016. I'm posting this here rather than in the Mahindra forum because it's more of a general question that might apply to a variety of brands.

The arms I have are the steel extendable ones with pins that hold it in the length you need, not chains and turnbuckles nor turnbuckles alone. No matter how I adjust them I always have 3-4 inches of slop out at the end of the 3pt arms.

I believe the problem is due to the way the end that fastens to the tractor is made... it has a type of hinge on it and the hole in the end is about 1/8" or so larger than the pin it fits over on the tractor.

3ptstab1.jpg

This provides for about 2 inches of side to side movement at the attachment point on the axle housing. Sorry for the quality of the photos. They show the relative position of the 'hinge' pin at it's left and right most points.

left most position:
3ptstab3.jpg

right most position:

3ptstab2.jpg

The 'hinge' attachment allows 2 inches of side to side slop at the hing pin and 3-4 inches or a little more out at the rear of the 3pt hitch.

So my questions are:

Is side to side 'slop' really necessary in the 3 pt?

I'd like to weld up the hinge and make it rigid at the attachment point. Anyone see a problem?

TIA

/ 3 pt stabilzer question #2  
Slop is required to accommodate any difference of axis location at the fixed ends of the lift arms and the sway links. IF the sway links pivot on the same shaft as the lift arms, no "slop" is needed regardless of the up or down position of the 3ph.

The "problem" with some sway bar designs is that they put the sway bar and the lift arms too close to parallel. Then, even a small change in the sway bar length permits a large movement of lift arm sway. Poor design. Crossed chains would be better. Or put the sway links further outboard yet.

Making the sway links rigid could bend things if the axis problem is how your tractor is laid out.

cheers

the 3pt stabilizers that (supposedly) keep the end of the 3pt arms from moving from side to side are sorta bugging me on my Mahindra 3016. I'm posting this here rather than in the Mahindra forum because it's more of a general question that might apply to a variety of brands.

The arms I have are the steel extendable ones with pins that hold it in the length you need, not chains and turnbuckles nor turnbuckles alone. No matter how I adjust them I always have 3-4 inches of slop out at the end of the 3pt arms.

I believe the problem is due to the way the end that fastens to the tractor is made... it has a type of hinge on it and the hole in the end is about 1/8" or so larger than the pin it fits over on the tractor.

3ptstab1.jpg

This provides for about 2 inches of side to side movement at the attachment point on the axle housing. Sorry for the quality of the photos. They show the relative position of the 'hinge' pin at it's left and right most points.

left most position:
3ptstab3.jpg

right most position:

3ptstab2.jpg

The 'hinge' attachment allows 2 inches of side to side slop at the hing pin and 3-4 inches or a little more out at the rear of the 3pt hitch.

So my questions are:

Is side to side 'slop' really necessary in the 3 pt?

I'd like to weld up the hinge and make it rigid at the attachment point. Anyone see a problem?

TIA

/ 3 pt stabilzer question #3  
It's hard to tell from your photos just what the arrangement of your stabilizer arms is? 3-4" of slop does seem excessive, even allowing for freedom from binding as things move up or down. How about a photo showing the whole arm?

/ 3 pt stabilzer question #4  
I would not do what you are contemplating. Easy fix though.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 227
   / 3 pt stabilzer question #5  
Kubota's stabilzer arms are the same... more play than I like but each connection had just a little movement that adds up.

/ 3 pt stabilzer question
I would not do what you are contemplating. Easy fix though.

that's pretty much what I would achieve by welding this solid:

3ptstab1.jpg

But I like the idea of welding in that 'ball' end.

/ 3 pt stabilzer question #7  
that's pretty much what I would achieve by welding this solid:

View attachment 460909

But I like the idea of welding in that 'ball' end.

Without the ball swivel, you have hard edges wearing. I would not want to guess how long things would last. I know the factory links are extremely poor, that's why I did what I did within the first month of ownership and going to upgrade again later this year to some "real" stabilizers. :thumbsup:

/ 3 pt stabilzer question
Thanks, i think I'll give it a try.