Buying Advice 30 series RFM's

/ 30 series RFM's #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
To All:

Wanted some thoughts and opinions on the 30 series Frontier RFM's. They seem really nice. I am thinking about getting a mower for my 2320. My father is getting older and I occasionally have to mow for him. I also loop around and mow for my aunt and uncle and at my parents' other home when down visiting. I use their mower which is really nice, but it is convenient for my to have my own equipment in the event I cannot use theirs or mow elsewhere. I have been looking at the 62 D mid mount mower which I like but the thought of taking it on and off frequently does not hold much appeal. I have had one of the economy Frontiers in the past and it cut OK, but not great, and seemed a bit "flimsy". I am willing to spend a bit extra for more durability and higher blade tip speed, but wanted the opinion of those who might know a bit more about them than do I. If anyone has priced one of these recently I would appreciate that input as well. I would be looking for a 60" model and likely will get the adjustable I match top link kit as well.

John M

/ 30 series RFM's #2  
John, at least one member here "Runner" has both the rfm, and mmm for his 2520, and seems to prefer the rfm. You might want to search his threads / posts, or drop him a line.

/ 30 series RFM's #3  
Frontier makes it too confusing with the 10, 20, and 30 series RFM's.
I believe the 10 series are made by Woods and the 20 series by Befco? Haven't heard anything on the 30 series. I've checked the manufacturers suggested prices for each on the JD website and they are all very similar.

Any dealers with input on why so many choices from Frontier of similar units?

/ 30 series RFM's #4  
John,

I have a Frontier GM1072R, which is a re-badged Woods RD7200. I have been VERY impressed with this mower. I believe it produces at least as nice a cut as the 62D MMM. As for durability, it is built like a tank and very heavy (675 lbs or so).

The Frontier paint quality is not stellar (peels off), but otherwise, I have had no problems with this unit in three seasons of mowing. My property is rough and hilly, so the mower is getting a real workout mowing two acres every week or so.

Frontier (Woods) makes an adapter kit for use with an iMatch style quick hitch that works very well. The kit consists of two additional brackets that mount to the front of the A-frame and chains to replace the rear angle brackets.

I would have no reservations in recommending this mower.

/ 30 series RFM's #5  
get a buhler/farm king. they are very tough mowers and cut very well. probably as cheap if not cheaper than the frontiers....

/ 30 series RFM's #6  
Probably cheaper than Frontier. i would imagine.