3054 starter noise

/ 3054 starter noise #1  

wanasrx

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti 3054
The other day I went out to start the tractor. It was around 30 degrees. I hit the glow plugs a few times before starting. When I hit the started it turned over(slow) and then the starter made a nasty grinding noise. It's been ok during the warmer temps. After pluging it in for a while she started right up, no problem. What do you think? Starter going? can it be rebuilt? bad ring gear? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 3054 starter noise #2  
They can be rebuilt. Could be the starter gear... noise could have been caused by low batt.... might have have been getting enough juice to spin right... If it still makes noise with a full batt i would look at the start gear or solenoid. these are the 2 most common parts we replace.... only sold 2 starters ever /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.... pretty tough starter...

/ 3054 starter noise #3  
Sounds more to me like a low battery and the starter was kicking out..
The motor shouldn't turn over that hard at 30 degrees.
I would charge the battery at check the cable connections and see what it does before messing with the starter.
My 2 cents..

/ 3054 starter noise
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's the battery. Also, I'm glad the starter can be rebuilt when needed.