340 utility

/ 340 utility #1  

malis1

Tractor
international 340 utility, john deere 318
Hi everyone, I am new to the sight. I just bought what I was told to be a 340 utility. How can I find out for sure? It has a Wagner iorn works front end loader, and a M.F. 5' back blade. I think it's a 1960. Thank you for any and all info.

/ 340 utility #2  
There should be a name plate on the right side of the clutch housing, with model and serial number on it.

/ 340 utility
Thank you. The only tag like that is on he left side. It is stamped 9930 J. Does that sound right?
Thank you,
Malis1

/ 340 utility #4  
Now you went and made me have to think, so double checked at Case/IH. Plate is on right side of clutch housing. That would be sitting in the seat.

/ 340 utility
I was afraid you were going to say that. There isn't a tag there, on the right side. I just bought points, condenser, coil, and oil filter. They all seem to fit. So I might be in the right ball park. I found out that most of this stuff is the same between the300-330-340-350. I think the 360 is a 6 cyl. Thank you for your help. Anything that comes to mind, I'm interested in.

/ 340 utility #6  
Most of those items fit the 200 series, up through your 340. There was no 360, other than an engine. You can do Google image search for a IH 340, and compare physical characteristics, and see if they compare. The 240's 340's, 460's etc, were the first generation of the square front grill. The series before that were rounded like the older farmall's.

If it is indeed a 340. it will have the C-135 engine. Should have a 5 spd. forward transmission, 1 reverse.

You can go to Case IH: Case IH Agriculture Equipment & Farm Tractors
and compare part numbers on castings, etc.

If you click on that link, when the page opens, select "parts & service" in the menu at the top.

Next page, scroll down to "search for genuine case ih original parts" In red, you will see "search for parts". Click on that.

Next page that appears, enter you model number, and it will have a menu appear to select your particular tractor. Utility, Farmall, gas, diesel, etc...

Next will appear a selection of components of your tractor. Select what you want to see, and it will have an exploded view of it. Below are part numbers.

For engine parts, you will need to go back to the model number selection, and type in C-135.

Usually at the very top of component listings, it will say General. Click on that, and it has general info such as, where to look for the serial # locations, on the chassis, and engine, and also has a view looking at the tractor from the right front.

Hope this helps a little..!!

/ 340 utility
Haven't found the tag, but thank you very much. That link is amazing. A real life saver. I really do appreciate all your help.