3520 Keeps shuting off

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #1  

cuemark8

Tractor
JD 3520
I am looking for some advice on an intermittent stalling problem with a John Deere 3520.
Ironically it sounds similar to another post by "Northpole".

Recently my 2009 JD 3520 will just shutoff for no apparent reason. It has 450hrs on it. When it stalls, it is instant and no warning. No sputtering, no loss of power, no hesitation before or after restart. It has happened multiple times now. I have serviced it by the book.
It doesn't appear that it is a fuel delivery problem. More like a relay or the fuel solenoid?

When it stalls, like I said, it's instant. If you crank the engine after it stalls, it will not restart!. If you cycle the ignition switch on and off it will restart like nothing happened!
I thought it might be the seat safety switch, it does act as if you jump off the tractor and came to quick halt. However just by chance, I belive that can be ruled out. I was using it plow snow the other day, I was done and had a shovel in the bucket as I was headed to garage to put the tractor away. I stopped to put the shovel in the shed. While the tractor was stopped, and left running, brake was on too, it shut off as if you turned the key off! That to me rules out any faulty seat switch.
I called the dealer service department, they are pretty much at a loss. With it being intermittent, it's all but impossible to troubleshoot.

Any ideas what it may be?

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #2  
I am looking for some advice on an intermittent stalling problem with a John Deere 3520.
Ironically it sounds similar to another post by "Northpole".

Recently my 2009 JD 3520 will just shutoff for no apparent reason. It has 450hrs on it. When it stalls, it is instant and no warning. No sputtering, no loss of power, no hesitation before or after restart. It has happened multiple times now. I have serviced it by the book.
It doesn't appear that it is a fuel delivery problem. More like a relay or the fuel solenoid?

When it stalls, like I said, it's instant. If you crank the engine after it stalls, it will not restart!. If you cycle the ignition switch on and off it will restart like nothing happened!
I thought it might be the seat safety switch, it does act as if you jump off the tractor and came to quick halt. However just by chance, I belive that can be ruled out. I was using it plow snow the other day, I was done and had a shovel in the bucket as I was headed to garage to put the tractor away. I stopped to put the shovel in the shed. While the tractor was stopped, and left running, brake was on too, it shut off as if you turned the key off! That to me rules out any faulty seat switch.
I called the dealer service department, they are pretty much at a loss. With it being intermittent, it's all but impossible to troubleshoot.

Any ideas what it may be?
I have a 4520 that had similar problems .Mine ran good except when getting off then nothing. place in neutral listen for fuel shut off solenoid to click when turning key on. if not look at the wire going to a sensor above the clutch rod entering the transmission below the platform I found this when wiggling wires to locate reason of stopping.
Tied the wire tightly to sensor with plastic tie wrap and have not had problems in the last 2/300 hours of use.
Maybe your 3520 is not the same but the condition of loose wire could be . Now if some one found how to fix the dang fuel gauge.

ken

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #3  
I am having similar issues. After an hour of operation, the tractor cuts off. No codes. It will restart for a few times immediately after that, but it cuts off within a few seconds each time and then fails to start all together until I let it rest/cool down. I suspected the oil pressure cut off sensor, replaced it, and it seemed to work but only for a short while. I then installed an oil pressure gauge where the sensor would go an found that my pressure was way too high. It should have been less than 10 psi at idle and was running above 35 psi. at idle and 65 at full throttle (Max is suppose to be 49 psi). I suspected the high pressure may affect other functions beside the cutoff sensor and brought it in to the local Deere dealership, They said the pump and relief valve would need to be replaced. I just picked it up today after paying a hefty bill and and see that they didn't run the engine very long during the time they had it in for repair (less than an hour difference on the meter). I left the tractor running for an hour only to find it had stopped running. I am experiencing the same issues- Its not fixed! Any luck with your similar issue cuemark8?

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #4  
I have a 4520 that had similar problems .Mine ran good except when getting off then nothing. place in neutral listen for fuel shut off solenoid to click when turning key on. if not look at the wire going to a sensor above the clutch rod entering the transmission below the platform I found this when wiggling wires to locate reason of stopping.
Tied the wire tightly to sensor with plastic tie wrap and have not had problems in the last 2/300 hours of use.
Maybe your 3520 is not the same but the condition of loose wire could be . Now if some one found how to fix the dang fuel gauge.

ken

Hi, I am in Queensland, Australia and I have a JD3720 EHydro tractor that has the same problem. After about an hour the engine just cuts out. It will restart but is a bit reluctant and then runs for a few minutes then cuts out again. It just keeps this up until I park it overnight then when it is cold it will start instantly and after about an hour the problem is back again. It has 490 hours since new. I have had it regularly serviced every 100 hours since new and new fuel filters each time. I have cleaned the fuel cap vents and the dealers don't know what the problem is. They replaced the throttle sensor and the fuel cut out solonoid but the problem still persists. There are no error codes and no engine warning lights displayed when this happens. Because the dealers have no idea they basically just want to keep replacing parts and charging a fortune each time in the hope that they might eventually find the problem. I wanted to contact the JD factory service center directly to see if they may be able to offer advice but all the websites just refer me back to the Australian site who in turn refer me back to the local dealer so I just get sent around in circles and they can't solve the problem.
I was hoping you may have found the problem.

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #5  
Hello Edgeguy,
Did you manage to find out what the problem is. I am in Queensland, Australia, and my 3720 EHydro tractor has the same problem. Dealears have no idea what is causing it.

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #6  
Champ, This might be a starting point for you to check out. It's from my tech manual for a 2010 model year 3520. Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 9.42.32 PM.png

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #7  
When checking fuel supply flow and pressure, also be sure the return line is not restricted back to the tank.

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #8  
I have a different model JD had issue much like these and it turned out to be air leak on fuel filter where it screwed on. I also had Kubota did about the same and it was a wasp floating in the fuel tank getting sucked on the fuel outlet and it would cut it just like switch. You may ca narrow it down to fuel issue by having a friend and I use WD40 and not ether, but keep shooting burst into the air intake and see if the engine will start right back up. That can at least let you know if the fuel is being cut off to the engine or not.

/ 3520 Keeps shuting off #10  
Having had the "erratic shut down issue" myself, I will suggest that the FIRST point of understanding that you should familiarize yourself with is EXACTLY how the fuel cut off solenoid works, and the circuit that controls it.

There are several styles or executions on the control scheme, and NONE of them are straight, "turn the key, apply 12v, and the fuel tap solenoid opens". Modern systems are more complex, but can be somewhat distilled into two classes defined by the number of wire connections. i.e. two wire or three wire. (note! even this evidence can be confused when "chassis ground" is part of the control circuit.

I can't say anything about the JD models. Nor am I interested. but you should be.